I Forge Iron

Swage block height

Swage blocks are multi purpose tools and the height you use them at will depend on what you are using them for,

do you use the sides and edge forms in which case the working height will vary as you turn them over to use, this can be accommodated by slots in the top of your stand that will allow the block to be positioned in a usable suitable position for both functions,

If you are using stakes in the swage block, you will need a different height to bring the stake to a working level.

If you are using a small swage block you may need to have it at bench height.

So like a lot of the tools you use, it depends on the circumstance and what you are going to use them for, your position in relation to how you are going to use them and WHAT WORKS FOR YOU

Swage blocks are an excellent and indispensable tool for cracking your shins and trapping your fingers. I know that some people find them useful, but in 35 years at this I must have used mine about half a dozen times. The best height therefore depends on the length of your legs, as the principle function is as a heavy and uncomfortable stool. Oh.. and the last but one dog used to hide under it while I used the power hammer.

Thanks, Sam. My dog weighs more than my swage block. He hides under the bench when he wants a nap which is most of the time. I know smiths seem to be divided into those who wouldn't be without a swage block and those who never feel the need for one. Interestingly many very experienced smiths never use them- I suppose they know other ways of getting the shapes. I like mine and use it quite a bit although it is only an artists one with no through holes. (I use a hardy hole to hold my stakes).

I think for what we are doing I will leave it at bench height but make a frame to hold it.

I notice somebody- probably a student has put a few dings in it which isn't easy as it is made from alloy steel!

i gues my situation is different from most people's in that i have a buddy at a foundry and, for a forged spatula, he cast me my 80ish pound swage block. the block is nearly square in cross-section with no through holes. so i don't need a special stand to hold it at different heights and the ends are not for heavy forging, just slight bending(works great for counter curving blades)i don't have a pic of the finished block but i have a picture of the pattern i made.
post-1642-12651655787581_thumb.jpg
post-1642-12651657329881_thumb.jpg

Phil,(by the way my name happens to be Phillip) I have a stand that is a bit taller than my anvil stand. I happen to use my swage bloack a lot. We weld a lot of cable in the half rounds and the spoon,ladle,shovel impressions get a lot of use come craft fair season. Me personally I like my swage block a bit higher so I can what Im working on in the impressions better..Thats just me though.

I have one of those old swage blocks, 12"x12", that came with its cast iron stand. When the block is on edge and the swages are in use, it is about 6" below anvil height. The block is the kind that is full of holes when laying flat.

I've used my swage block on occasion for through punching large holes and dishing sheet metal. I don't use the swages too often, as I have a collection of them for the hardie hole.

I mentioned once to one of my old mentors, Victor Vera,that we hardly ever used the swage block or floor mandrel. He replied, "When you need it, you need it!"

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of blacksmith schools

What height does anybody use for their swage block? I am experimenting at different heights before I finally make my stand and would value any input from the experienced members.

I have my stand so that the swage block (whether it is laying on its side or on its edge) is anvil height.
It is mounted somewhere near the anvil (although movable) so that I can use it as a support for long bars.

I use a hole in the side of the swage block for making my top/bottom tools and being at anvil height allows me to sledge and upset steel into the swage block.

I used wood for the stand as it is both quieter and safer (won't nip your fingers as you change orientation of the block on the stand) than steel.

• 2 weeks later...

My swage block is about anvil height flat or on edge. The base is wood timbers on end and I use a pinch bar through a hole to change it's position.

I've been thinking about revising one of my old swage block stand plans so it'll lay flat and have open space below it. I figure it'll be helpful upsetting bar but . . .

I hardly use it frequently but when I need it it's beyond handy. It spends most of it's time on edge and I frequently put bottom tools in it to work sideways rather than upright in the anvil or swage block on it's face. Heck, come to think of it I do use it pretty often.

Frosty the Lucky