I Forge Iron

one heat horse head

one heat.

one heat.

one. heat.

for sale in massachusetts: one gas forge, 2 anvils, assorted hammers, tongs, punches, drifts, carts, welders, welding table, band saw, torch outfit, workshop, and a single family house.

price: free.

I am moving to the bottom of the ocean.

Try that and do those steps 10 times, and I'll bet any of you can do it in 1 heat also.
I suggest using 1/4"x 3/4" instead of 1/4"x 1" to start with. Just ask Tazmig or Clinton.

It is mostly half-hammer face blows, near and far, using a fullering hammer or rounding hammer, one of the most commonly used hammer blows when forging with a hand hammer.

very nice brian i went by the school on fri and showed the instructor the bbq tools that i made he was very impressed he thought that you made them at first i need to work on the ears they need to be further back i will be at the forge this week got my shop all covered up now its supposed to rain all week

Brain and Karen, Thanks for sharing the how to do it!!! Looks like a lot of fun. I hope your trip is going well. Everything I have read about it looks great. Will you be going back to North Carolina on the east side at all I have a son in the military at Cherry Point. He would love to come to a demo or something.Keep up the good work and have lots of fun.
Gaylan

I'm with MarkC, I need his new address, I'll be joining him, we can start a new club, something like grumpy former smiths who were disillusioned by easy looking videos that when we tried it, kicked our butts!! Thanks a lot for posting the video, now I won't be able to sleep!!

I was demonstrating today and decided to try the horsehead. I watched it a dozen times this morning and made a flux shovel with one and this steak turner with another one. Thanks for posting the video. Somehow I missed out on the 2d horseheads you were making wwhen you were here.

http://picasaweb.google.com/LDWynn/ThirdTryAtAHorsehead#

Edited by LDW

I can attest, this method is so easy once you get the proportions down. After 10 you will be able to do them in 1 heat too.

I've been making key rings and bottle openers out of them to sell and for the local museum for a bit now since they were posted. People love them.

Since the gallery is screwy, here's a link to my etsy shop with them . I have the original horse head I made and the latest one up for sale there under animal bottle openers.

www.ridgwayforge.etsy.com

Thanks, Lyle, for posting that.
Jeremy K, I did slow down alot for that video, so people could see the steps. I will usually punch the eyes and nose and chisel the mane, ear, and mouth in the same heat after I bend the neck.
The 3d horse head profile can also be done in one heat, but I will stop before I do the neck so I can punch the eyes and nose and chisel the mouth in the vice so I have better backing.