I Forge Iron

what gift for an office worker?

Mark:

I'm a little surprised you're asking a gang of blacksmiths what to get for a speech therapist you're attracted to.

Seriously man how hard did whatever it was hit you in the head?

The loveable speech therapists I've met over the past few weeks would be delighted with anything that took a little cognitive skill to make.

So, how about a flower?

The word of experience.

Frosty

Edited by Frosty
Traumatic brain injury spelling. . . Sigh

Frosty,

I know you don't know me from a hole in the wall, but I have got to tell you that it's xxxxxx fine to be reading your posts again. You don't know how gut wrenching it was to hear that you were laid up.

A flower. you're right. I'm gonna go make it right now.

Mark,

The flower is a great idea, but not very office or desk specific.

Have you considered some type of pen holder? I can picture a pen holder with a real nice Cross pen.

I don't know your skill level, but if you have the ability you could even make the pen. I have a nephew who is a glass blower and he makes beautiful glass pens and then slips the innards from a Bic into them.

Just a thought.

Bill

Frosty,

I know you don't know me from a hole in the wall, but I have got to tell you that it's damned fine to be reading your posts again. You don't know how gut wrenching it was to hear that you were laid up.

A flower. you're right. I'm gonna go make it right now.

Thanks Mark, it's good to be back. I know I took a serious blow to the head being attacked by a Great White . . . Birch like I was but I'm pretty sure the damage isn't so bad I couldn't tell you from a hole in a wall. :P

I was serious about all the speech therapists I've gotten to know LOVING anything that takes some thought to make, especially if it's a fair representation of what it's supposed to be or better yet leads the viewer/receiver to think.

That's not a bad thought Bill, something useful in an office might be even better than something that just looks good. So, a wrought iron flower could be a terrific paper weight or not hlder or how about a helically wound stem that will hold a selection of pens and pencils?

How's THAT for a win win?

Frosty

Are there any tools of the trade that she uses, and could be forged? Don't know any speech therapists, so I am just guessing.

Something else you may want to explore is forging some jewelery; ear rings, necklace.

Can you ask any of her coworkers what she likes?

Good to see ya back Frosty! How much is an out of state hunting license for Great White Birches?

flower's a wonderful idea, considering your fancy for this person, but when I saw the thread title "office worker", I was immediately taken back to this image I've been meaning to make for a while

http://www.ironringforge.com/HomeProjects/CubicleHook.jpg
http://www.ironringforge.com/HomeProjects/CubicleBack.jpg

From a guy named Marc Godbout's site.

Be a nice way to bring metalworking into the cubicle environment.

Michael

flower's a wonderful idea, considering your fancy for this person, but when I saw the thread title "office worker", I was immediately taken back to this image I've been meaning to make for a while

http://www.ironringforge.com/HomeProjects/CubicleHook.jpg
http://www.ironringforge.com/HomeProjects/CubicleBack.jpg

From a guy named Marc Godbout's site.

Be a nice way to bring metalworking into the cubicle environment.

Michael

Neither of these sites come up for me....

hm, no cubicle, she works in a public school, working with the special needs kiddies who need speech therapy. she's a real doll. Love that pen holder idea, and the swan business card holder from anvilfire. BigGun, I dont know about the tools of the trade, but I'll look into that for the future. Also love that idea about making the pens themselves... what a great idea in general. I already got to work on a regular old rose... putting extra attention to detail into it, since it will be the first piece of mine she sees in person. I want to make sure the xxxxxx thing look exactly like a rose, the whole kit and kaboodle. Everyone on the forum always has so many great ideas and info to share. God bless ifi. I'll bang this thing out in the morning and let you know what she thought of it. I think I'll be making her a few other items in the near future as well, while i'm taking breaks from making the stuff i'm suppossed to be making, of course LOL

Are there any tools of the trade that she uses, and could be forged? Don't know any speech therapists, so I am just guessing.

Something else you may want to explore is forging some jewelery; ear rings, necklace.

Can you ask any of her coworkers what she likes?

Good to see ya back Frosty! How much is an out of state hunting license for Great White Birches?

A speech therapist usus a LOT of written puzzles to stimulate cognitive prowes. Some are real mind benders, some are as simple as addition and subtraction problems some are crossword puzzles but some are really obscure abstract problem solving. Nothing you could forge as far as the actual tools of the trade are concerned. However pencils are in constant use so a pencil holder is a useful thing.

If you want to come up, I'll issue you a local area permit to harvest as many Great White . . . Birches as you'd like. Heck, I'll even keep a pot of coffee going.

Frosty

Whatever you make, make it well. I have a niece that I adore that was born with a cleft palate and struggles to make herself understood. Thousands of dollars have been poured into surgery but the "fix" seems to elude the good doctors. An angel of a speech therapist works hours each day with her in school.
Perhaps you should forge this lady a golden halo and wings.

Frosty, I would also like to chim in and say it is nice to see your posts again and that your starting to get back in the swing of things again.

HH

Thanks Brother, it's good to be getting back. Deb calls you guys hairy faced blacksmiths with great affection, you lent her so much support and help, she loves you all.

Mark:

There's nothing wrong with a plain well made rose. However if you buy a little rose oil and put a drop on the petals it'll smell like a rose and become something very special.

I love my speech therapists, I feel a lot of improvement after every single visit. I think the halo is a terrific idea.

Frosty

everyone always has so many great ideas.

Sukellos, what you said is powerful. It makes me have a lot of respect for these people and their profession. Same goes for what you said Frosty. They are like unsung heros among us. your cops and firemen and doctors, people are tripping over each other to call these people heros, but people like speech therapists and their like... i guess you have to have something hit close to home to realize what a difference they make. Really makes me stop and think.

Frosty: I gotta find me some rose oil. I remembered reading that before... obviously i read it from one of your posts.

And without further ado, the rose: I hope it does justice to the girl.

It's kinda whimsical and fantasy-like. I couldn't choose the best pic so i posted them all.

19810.attach

19811.attach

19812.attach

19813.attach

19814.attach

19815.attach

19816.attach

19817.attach

19818.attach

Edited by MarkC

Thats a lovely rose, I really hope it works the magic for you.
Frosty It makes me really happy to see you back on track again.
Inspiration comes in infrequent pelts, I forged a ring in bronze for her and split a walnut in half, carefully along the seam. Wrapped the ring and put inside the walnut, glued it back.
Good response!;)