I Forge Iron

Fabricated Anvil

Ooo, just realized that the little hammer should be a self contained unit with it's own base/bottom die that just goes in the dovetail. That would be pretty "quick change". Now I suppose we need to move this thread to "power hammers".

Dang it man, you are going to make it so easy everyone will be a blacksmith.

Is the flypress going to go in a dovetail too? What about the smithin magician?

Well, the hammer idea is just for thought. It's not an integral part of the design. Just want to make sure I have attachment points for things I might want to add or the owner might want to add. I know they could just weld stuff on, but I'd like to make provision for adding without too much trouble.

It looked like you foot was side bolted on instead of up through the bottom. Why not reuse those holes? So what if they are a few inches from the optimal location, you are going to build and machine the hammer as well.

Having the stand be the treadle or air hammer attachment point (or the entire machine) might be a better option than making more holes in the anvil. Treadle hammers can be set up to have adequate clearance to the anvil, but I am unsure how to set an air hammer and still do manual work on this anvil.

Phil

Well, the hammer idea is just for thought. It's not an integral part of the design. Just want to make sure I have attachment points for things I might want to add or the owner might want to add. I know they could just weld stuff on, but I'd like to make provision for adding without too much trouble.

I think the idea of a power hammer attachment is fantastic. Sorry about the sarcasm earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

Was wondering why you did not have them rough out the dovetails to remove some extra material to help w/ machining? Those cuts are mighty fine, nice job and nice to see your project going from virtual to the real deal! Zap

Well, here's the start. Got my burnouts, wow, 300lbs each. Looking good. See if I have time to get one up in the machine this weekend. Boy, what nice cutting!

The "bark" from burning can be very hard. This way I can mill off the surface with a big carbide flycutter and then machine out the dovetails with high-speed cutters. Wiped out more than a few high-speed cutters on flame-cut edges. That also would have committed me to a design. My CNC will plow out that material pretty fast.

At a certain point taller doesn't add much to the usefulness. Length does. Most of the dimensions have been discussed. You just weren't paying attention. I told you there would be a quiz. It's 10 inches tall, that's one inch taller than my Nimba Centurian.

The cutting was done with good old oxy-fuel flame-cutting CNC cutting table.

Edited by nakedanvil

Well, here's the start. Got my burnouts, wow, 300lbs each. Looking good. See if I have time to get one up in the machine this weekend. Boy, what nice cutting!

Boy those really do look clean.. Who ever the guy is running that table he knows his stuff... It takes a lot of know how (or a lot of luck!) to get cuts like that...

I'm the latest greenhorn newbie.

I have always been interested in blacksmithing. Now I finally got serious about learning it. I'm 52-years old and teach myself everything I want to know. Hopefully I will learn enough to start doing some real blacksmithing some time in 2010.

:cool: