I Forge Iron

Fabricated Anvil

Getting ready to throw the first one in the mill. Doin' a little trial layout to see how it looks. This should be the side away from the smith. The big holes go all the way thru are 3/4 to attach the base angles plus a few extra for what ever. The small holes are 1/2" drilled and tapped for attaching stuff.

A few notes: That hydraulic die lifter table sure makes it nice for getting things off the hand truck and on to a bench or in the mill. Use it a lot.

The combination square has my "pat. pending" modification. I buy the best Mitutoyo squares and take em to the belt grinder first day and miter the end like that. Makes them much more useful when you need to use them at 45 on the deck.

20025.attach

Hey Grant...

I was thinking all those bolts I have that are too long for the base bolts.. What if you took a chunk of 7/8 X 1 1/4 DOM or Shelby... or even drill a chunk of round bar.. and made spacers to take up the extra... All the spacer on the side away from the smith.... you could put them at uneven intervals along the bottom so you had various widths and use them as bending dog/forks.... Of course it would mean you couldn't have a angle flange on the bottom for mounting on that side. or would have to modify it for "bending" clearance

Remind me again, how long are those bolts? Like from under the head to where the thread starts. So now ya want me to start buying shelby tubing? This isn't more "swiss army knife" stuff is it?

Not really a bad idea Larry. But the concept now is you have the ability to add any kind of fixtures YOU want. I'm just making it easy.

Edited by nakedanvil

They are 7/8 X 7 1/2 bolts.. I'll have to dig one out to get a dead on measurement... And yeah I get that to keep the price down and the options open you have to have a "base" and let the user adapt and improvise...

How about this?... Just drill and tap a couple of 7/8 NF holes low in the away side of the anvil... maybe 3" center to center... that way a guy could cut some chunks of round bar and drill the holes off center to make cams, making a adjustable bending fixture that could be removed if it was in the way... I would think you could generate enough holding power with a 7/8 fine thread they would stay put...

The holes could also be used for mounting what ever else the smith came up with...

My mind is geared to think in "one off's" not production.. I hate to build more than a dozen of anything... I find all the joy in figuring out how to do it and developing the process... If I can sell more than a dozen I'll sub out the production to you:)

Well Bentiron, it actually only took a week to nail down the design. Then a couple wore weeks to get the steel and find time to work on it.

First one is finished on this side. Milled the bottom and the top so they are parallel. My CNC did all the drilling and tapping while I was in watching the football game.

20060.attach

Grant,

Having no idea what you have in mind - and with "Anvil" disallowed, maybe you can tweak one of these:

Sarver Savage
Sarver Stumper
Sarver Stout Block
Sarver Solid One
Sarver Strong Block
Sarver Smart Block
Sarver Blacksmith Block (BS Block - Model 1)
Puget Sounder
Puget Pounder
Smithin