I Forge Iron

Fabricated Anvil

OK, I suggested Medusa Block because of the multiple snake heads, you are right though, it does conjure an ugly image - since that has been shot down, how about The Shiva Block.

I got this from the Smithsonian website:

Occasionally a deity is shown with more than one head in an attempt to describe various aspects of the character of that deity. For example, when the god Shiva is portrayed with a triple head, the central face indicates his essential character and the flanking faces depict his fierce and blissful natures....The three horizontal lines often seen on Shiva's forehead represent three aspects of the divine: the Creator, the Preserver, and the Destroyer.

Bill

Well, here's the start. Got my burnouts, wow, 300lbs each. Looking good. See if I have time to get one up in the machine this weekend. Boy, what nice cutting!

EGAD! When I first saw those 2 burnouts, It russelled up some reminice- had a bit of tear in my eye...When I worked at Warner & Swasey Co. in the machine base fab dept. the giant 3SC machine base had 2 counterweight burnouts just like that , that fitted between the bases 12 " channels ! The burn outs were coped on the ends fo fit the channel and were over 8 ft. long. They were a bear to fit and weld up.
THAT WILL BE SOME ANVIL! BEST WISHES ON IT FOR 2010!

Im surprised that I didnt get a rise out of Grant with the SOB request..

Grant is running for our NWBA board and is one of the 5 SOB's (sole occupation blacksmiths) Who are going to get our group back on track...

So the SOB should call his tool the SOB Anvil or ( Smith Outfitted Block ) Anvil

Makes good sense to me...

And Hillbilly... I said Transformer like 5 pages ago... :P

shop mate (two words)its not taken

this anvil is clearly a great tool and this tool has many uses beyond blacksmiths we ade designing it as smiths but al other metal workers cold addapt it to better suit their needs this would be a tool useable by most metal workers especialy sheet metal workers

if you made some blank dovetails out of flat bar and drilled countersunk and tapped them for 2 3/8th hex bolts than anyone could make their own tooling or convert older tooling easily

with this pre made dovetail you could make spring fullers usefull for a single man shop with out a power hammer and you could mount a hockeypuck to o key makeing it usefull to sheet metal workers i have a setup like this with dovetail in a log to hold a pitch pot but every one could customize this with out much hassle of heavy equipment

shop mate (two words)its not taken

this anvil is clearly a great tool and this tool has many uses beyond blacksmiths we ade designing it as smiths but al other metal workers cold addapt it to better suit their needs this would be a tool useable by most metal workers especialy sheet metal workers

if you made some blank dovetails out of flat bar and drilled countersunk and tapped them for 2 3/8th hex bolts than anyone could make their own tooling or convert older tooling easily

with this pre made dovetail you could make spring fullers usefull for a single man shop with out a power hammer and you could mount a hockeypuck to o key makeing it usefull to sheet metal workers i have a setup like this with dovetail in a log to hold a pitch pot but every one could customize this with out much hassle of heavy equipment

Not exactly clear on what you mean by "drilled countersunk and tapped them for 2 3/8th hex bolts". Is this to match something?

Randy, excellent idea indeed.

I was thinking of maybe "Omniversal Anvil" or even "Omnival". "Omniversal" is a step above universal.

Interesting, it's not in the dictionary. They used to make omniversal milling machines. Saw one one time that was really cool. Universal mills usually has a tilting head and that can often tilt two ways. This omniversal had a table that would tilt two ways and rotate in the "X-Y" plane. But just think how long it would take to "dial-in" something like that to get all axies "normal"!

Randy, excellent idea indeed.

I was thinking of maybe "Omniversal Anvil" or even "Omnival". "Omniversal" is a step above universal.

Interesting, it's not in the dictionary. They used to make omniversal milling machines. Saw one one time that was really cool. Universal mills usually has a tilting head and that can often tilt two ways. This omniversal had a table that would tilt two ways and rotate in the "X-Y" plane. But just think how long it would take to "dial-in" something like that to get all axies "normal"!

Unvil

When people ask - you could say it's an Un-anvil, or a Universal Anvil, or Unique Anvil, etc.

just some names i've thought of

shop mate, the most versatile tool in the shop
Ditto block,
clone
river anvil, flows effortlessly from task to task

and this is clearly a tool that should be marketed to more than just blacksmiths based on its adaptibility to just about any task a metal worker would run across i have invisioned an anvil like this for sheet metal work. i built a system like this out of a hickory stump for adding mass to pitch pots to keep them from bouncing around and for ease of working copper and it works great to this day.

if i had a spare 2grand i buy one of these but i will have to wait till sales pickup

• 2 weeks later...