I Forge Iron

Lets talk about the weather!

Fe-Wood

Have any of you guys/gals noticed that the weather predictions are increasingly wrong? I started to notice last winter when the forcast was for a 1-2 day storm that stayed for a week (6 days) and rained HARD. This week was supposed to be chance of rain first part of the week and it has hardly been cloudy:confused:

Are the models these guys us based on stuff that ain't hap'nen no more or what.

The National Weather Service continues to operate with hold-over staff from the previous administration. The current administration has not had the time to staff the weather service with appropriately trained and indoctrinated weather professionals. Had it been able to do so you would not be hearing anything about colder than normal weather any place in the country. That you are getting these weather reports at all, accurate or not, is all George Bush's fault.

It's simple really, all meteorologists are pathological liars. All weather forecasts are a lie, even when the weather happens to coincide with the forecast. They still lied, but they just got it wrong.

OI..... who said I was cynical?

What was it? " God made meteorologists to make economists look good" or was it the other way around? Does it matter?

It's been a rare few days in a row we've had good or seasonal weather here in the east since the Spring. Maybe earlier.

Excelsior,
Ted

Unfortunately for a lot of folks global warming doesn't mean that everywhere is warmer all the time. It does mean that the mean annual temperature of the earth as a whole goes up and as a consequence that weather becomes a bit more active and previous models don't work as well as they used to. Expect more hurricanes and blizzards!

So we get folks that say "we had a cold spell here global warm is horse hocky!" while the glaciers disappear in the andes and alps and the greenland, antarctic and arctic ice decreases markedly. Sort of like saying "since I don't have the flu nobody must be having it!".

A few years back I substituted in a Sunday School class that had all senior adult men, all retired. We were talking before the class started about how much rain we had gotten when the forecast had shown NO rain for days out. I said, "Guys, my next job I'm going to be a Meteorologist, you can be wrong over half the time and still keep your job!" Then from the corner of the room a large gentle man says in his deep baritone voice, "I'm a Meteorologist". Feet don't taste too good...at least my feet don't. ;) I learned later that he used to fly into hurricanes for most of his 40+yrs as a meteorologist!

As a kid, I remember more than one Halloween slog'n around in the rain. These days its cold and clear as far as I can see... Even with rain in the forecast.

As for meteorologist, they were doing well if they were only wrong 50% of the time. Now it seems more like 80-90% Hmmm, kinda like economists:rolleyes:

I brought this up wondering if anyone else thought the "computer" models were becoming out dated. The climate is definitely changing and the extremes seem to be more pronounced. Look'n forward to another wild winter:D

I remember basing costumes around rain gear when I was younger, so I could have a comfortable time out. Now I am setting out to build an insulated great cloak. I bought cotton duck for the shell so it will be water resistant. I might not have it finished for this year though.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

I was a farmer for nearly 20 years, and as some of you may know, for various reasons, the weather is a variable farmers are always concerned about. Weather affects weeds growth, pests, agrochemicals spray, harvest, planting, flower set and fruit development, freeze crop damage, you name it. The old farmer could tell you very accurately what the weather is going to be like. Well, I think this used to be the case, but not any more. What happens is that with experience, farmers knew weather patterns and could literally smell rain coming. Weather patterns have dramatically changed, and I`m not sure if there`s even patterns anymore. It seems crazy, highly unpredictable, so even computer models just don`t work any more either. Recently heard that if the CO2 concentration keeps rising at current rates, there`ll be a 6 degrees celcius increase in global temperature. A total disaster. I don`t want, and won`t be around to see that (next century). Nonetheless, as human race even if most of us won`t be around, we got to get serious on this issue before the planets life comes to an end. We ain`t seen the worst yet...

Around here it been cold and rainy, :D So far all the storms forcasted have not lived up to expectations. A couple years ago, they exceeded axpectations.... Go figure:confused:

I'm just happy its cooled off because I was feeling like the wicked witch in the Wizard of Oz....

This year we've made up for the last 10 or so with no rain ...my yard is like walking on a wet sponge...had a big sink hole open about a foot from my anvil ...filled it up with rock and bricks. had more rain (2 weeks and 8 inches) now another sinkhole in front of my anvil...more bricks and rock. I think it time to move the anvil

Jim-
You may not want to stop with your anvil. Do you know where the dirt is going? How close is it to your house? I don't know if it made national news but several years ago there was a sink hole in San Francisco, by the Presidio, It swallowed two large houses and a bunch of trees. If memory servse me right, it was caused by heavy rains and a ruptured sewer line.:o