I Forge Iron

What size propane tank do you use/recommend?

ofafeather

Hi, All. I am waiting to receive my new Chile Tabasco forge. While I find a place to put it and get the shop ready, etc., I am wondering what a good size or sizes of propane tanks would be. If the thing finds a permanent home in one location I'll have my propane company supply a 100 gallon tank. I have two that I use for certain items in the house but they are too far from where I would be running the forge to be practical. Also, the largest car we have is a Toyota Prius, which is a hatch back, so size is a consideration.

Am I better off getting two tanks and manifolding them together? Or running one larger tank. As I said, if I find a permanent home for it I'll get a more permanent tank but I'll need something until that happens way down the road.

Thanks.

Eric

Well, one 20# tank will ice in an hour, and soon after you will experience pressure loss. The less fuel in your tank the worse it is. I should have ordered a manifold, but I am looking into bigger tanks. Exchange is convenient, but you only get 15# in a 20# tank that way, so its also pricey. If your tanks are large enough you can get delivery and still pay less per unit.

Phil

I recommend a 100lb but wrestling that in and out of a prius not a good option. So in that case I think 2-5 20lb would be a good choice. As far as manifolding it would be a great idea. I never have, just set one in a tub of water and kept going, BUT I am in Central Oklahoma. YMMV. ;)

We used to use 2 45kg bottles manifolded together but even they used to ice up even in Aust we now use 3 100kg bottles manifolded together for a better gas price, fill up on site, no icing even in winter (where we are we can even get down to 5deg c on a cold winters day brrrrrrrr)
Phil

I have the big Chili forge (cayenne?). I use 2 100 lb (or 20 gallon) tanks manifolded together. On most jobs I run 10-15 PSI, But I do this for a living and can't afford to wait for stock to heat a long time. I also put 6-8 pieces in at a clip so I spend my time forging,not waiting for it to get hot. Point being, that any less than 2 tanks and they freeze up. My tanks also freeze up when they get down to about1/4 left in them. At that pint, there is not enough liquid to produce enough gas if I undersand the theory.
Mark Emig

Thanks for the great replies. I guess I need to check with the propane companies. As I said, we have 2 100 gallon tanks manifolded together for the house but they are way to far away to make it worth while to run the forge. That said, I may be able to arrange for pick-up or fill-up of smaller bottles since I already have fill-up service. Still open for suggestions, though.

For me I found running venturi burners on a 20lb tank very annoying. I moved to a 100lb tank. If your forge is always setup and you have your forge where its going to stay. I would seriously consider just getting another "big" tank and just let the propane truck fill it.

the largest car we have is a Toyota Prius

That's not something you hear everyday, actually that could be the first time the word "largest" and Toyota Prius were ever used in the same sentence....
lol

If you already have the propane co. coming to your house then just have them add another one or two 100# bottles, that way you don't have to worry about freeze up. Also, if they are coming to the house anyway they will fill your 20# bottles (grill bottles) while they are there. They won't come out just for a 20#er or two but if they are there anyway they will fill them.

That's not something you hear everyday
That's true! We actually got rid of our pick-up in May and bought a Mini Cooper. In some ways not as practical but way more fun! I've been amazed at what we've been able to get in the Prius. We've also been looking at getting a small trailer for the Mini. That would solve a lot of problems. In Europe they are rated to pull about 1000# so a small trailer with a light load wouldn't be a problem. I called my fuel company and need to call back to speak to someone else. The bottom line seems to be that they aren't sure about liability on their end if something goes wrong. Anyone have experience with this?

• 4 weeks later...
According to transport laws at least here in Ontario any compressed gas tanks must be transported upright. I realize that most of the propane in the tank is liquid but there is still compressed gass in the tank.
Could be here, too. I think there is also a limit on what you can transport in an enclosed vehicle. Still haven't figured it all out yet. Once I get the smithy done I'll get the forge fired up with a 20# that I have while I work on figuring out what the best way to go is.

I agree on manifolding the tanks- it seems to make a big difference when it comes to freezing up. I've had OK luck with two 3/4" burners on one 40 pound tank, but do not usually go over 10 psi. Have run five 3/4" burners on two 40 pound tanks manifolded with good results, no freezing. Seems the 20's are a little small unless you only have very light demand.

I started out with 20# tanks but they only lasted about 3 hours. I recently purchased a 100# tank. since you already have the gas company comming to your home to fill your tank why not fill your shop tank at the same time. Saves you time and money. The worst you might have to hand truck it over to the other tanks so they can all be filled at one time.