I Forge Iron

One proud Dad

Today my son David and I went to my work and he wanted to strike on a hammer, his 10 years old. I had wanted to make my boss a door knocker using a hammer so I thought that would be a good start for my son. We started with a piece of 1 1/4 round 2 1/2 long and the striking began. You could tell he was a little scared but he kept hitting and the strikes became better and better and then the eye was done. Then we started the cheeks and the striking was even better. Then the fullering and the strikes where even better with each blow my smile got bigger and bigger and then hammer was done. I was one proud dad.

17781.attach

I'm beginning to know that feeling.
My daughter is not quite 4, and reading your story has me hoping that she will eventually want to help her Dad make stuff.
She doesn't actually hit any hot metal, but has shown a real interest in turning the blower crank.....

She has already memorized the names of some of my tools such as "Baw-pee hammer" and loves to chant that while hitting my little RR track anvil.

My son is 8 and already has his own anvil and hammer, thanks to my uncle who is also a blacksmith. He uses it but with a short attention span (like all kids his age) he is off to other things after a short time. He is good help holding a torch and being a gofer in the shop.

My daughter is 5 and also good help. This past week I was using my forging press. She sat behind me, with gloves and safety glasses on, and stacked the pieces as they came off the press. The pieces were cold and she had a great time stacking them in groups of 10. She had soot and grease all over her face...and looked darn cute to a very proud Dad!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...