I Forge Iron

Scrolls and Collars

Another key thing when putting on multi collars as in the trivet is deciding the order in which they are to be put on, and securing the assembled parts using clamps, so you just slip th collars onto the assembled pieces and then close them up in an ordered manner.

Good luck with them.

Hey was thinking to do some more collaring and was re-reading this thread. Your quote above stood out to me as I missed it before. Clamping the other areas together that are 'to be" collared is not a bad idea depending on how much you are going to be moving your piece around or how much chance the pieces can have to move relative to each other. Once you have a collar or two in place and you let a piece or two move it can be a real pain to get things back in symetrical shape. Or if things move while you hammer. Clamps would help keep it all in place neatly.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I did attach the photos to all the threads that I started back in 2009 on my old computer. The only links that have been made were done by my wife, Karen, and those few pictures still show up. So what happened to my photos? I was able to see them up until that last big shutdown that occurred on IFI.

This is why we prefer people to attach photos to the post rather than links. A link is an off site area that can be deleted loosing the information on that link.  If it is attached it is then part of the post.

All the pictures that I posted before 2010 were attached, not linked. Where are the pictures that I posted? Are they lost?

I'm no wiz at computers and stuff so I could be wrong. I post photos from photo bucket into my message bodies, so that when you look at a post if mine, the photo appears in the post without requiring you to go offsite to view it.
However, if I move or delete the photo from photo bucket, the photo no longer appears on IFI.

If you posted your photos from picasa or photo bucket, or some other photo hosting program, then moved or deleted those photos from that program they will also disappear from your post. I would imagine if your photo host altered their site in a way that affected your photo's image URL (the link you put into the IFI message body to create an image in your post,) then the photo would disappear as well.

I believe that in order to keep the photo on IFI permanently, you have to upload it as an attachment when you write your post, or upload the photo to your IFI albums and host it from there. I am sure there are some tutorials on this site about all of this. :)

All the pictures that I posted before 2010 were attached, not linked. Where are the pictures that I posted? Are they lost?

You dont have a backup of the pictures?  Thats a tough lesson learned, kind of like when your only hard drive gets nuked.  I would not trust things I care about to a third party.  Like I said in the other thread, I am sure plenty of folks downloaded the images, we just have to collect them.  I found one of the slitter photos if you would like it posted let me know.  Maybe you should start a thread where we can replace the images.

Thanks guys, but I'm not that concerned about them not appearing here on IFI for myself. They do help other people, though. I have all those pictures on CD's and DVD's and more, and I doubt that I will have time to repost them. Anyone who wants to repost them here or on any other site is welcome to.

Your dismay is certainly understandable Brian, your tutorials are some of the most valuable and viewed information on the site.  You have to wonder about what happens to the information we give,  who "owns" it?  Is it properly archived?  Easily accessible?  Lots more questions.  I am not harping on anyone, I know its not an easy job, but if this is to be "the place" on the net for smithing information I think its fair to evaluate what happens in order to be progressive and be better.