I Forge Iron

Should I buy it?

Hey guys I am new here and I was wondering if anyone could identify this anvil from a pic. It looks well used with a slight slump in the middle you can see it in the photo. Its 220 lbs and the people are asking 250 bucks obo should I risk it? I know its a forging anvil because the mass is in the center and its what I am looking for. I am a beginner and im still tooling up and not forging much because this is the one thing I dont have yet anvils seem to be very very hard to find in Maine.

16987.attach

if your just starting out, (depending on budget) there is alternatives
could go to Harbor Freight if there is one around your area and buy this HF Anvil

or take a trip to your local scrap yard and get a peace of steel to beat on if your unshure if you plan to do much with this craft. i payed $14 for my 31 pund squire chunk and its doing allright

My first anvil wasn't that big....shoot, my everyday anvil isn't that big!!:) Buy it if you can....personnally I would offer a little less, just for the fun of it, the worst they can say is no! Just don't insult them with too low of an offer. You might be pleasantly surprised. As for the HF anvil, just send me the $$$, it'll do you just about as much good. PM me for my address!;) Good luck, hope you can get it.
If you will update your profile by giving your location it will help us help you in locating more of the MUCH NEEDED toy...er I mean TOOLS. Just click on "User CP" up in the green bar, yeah, at the top of the page. There are likely smiths in your area I'm sure and we can also let you know of blacksmithing events that may be close to you. Good to have you aboard, enjoy!

Here is my suggestion. Over the many years I have haggled ,and wheeled and dealed some pretty good buys, First tell them that you are an aspiring blacksmith, and that you are on a budget. Politely ask them what their bottom dollar would be on it (they did say OBO correct?) If they come back with $225 go look at it again really good running your hands over it checking for cracks,dings, bad stuff-you are making an important decision with your hard earned money, and for Pete's sake don't grin and look all giddy when you do!:D Then you can try saying that you had set a budget of $200 for an anvil, which they may accept seeing how you are an aspiring blacksmith, and not a dreaded collector of anvils, or if they have not had many people inquire about it. Whatever transpires have the cash with you. Do they have any other equipment that they could toss in, or make a package deal with? I recently purchased a 170# Hay Budden for $175 we had guessed 175# and $1 a pound. I went for the anvil, and ended up with an anvil, 2 forges with blowers (Buffalo/Champion), a couple barrels of coal , 20+ tongs, 20+hamers/fullers/etc, and a mess of hardies. By making a package deal I got great average prices of $3 hardies, $5 tongs. I also recently bought out a farrier and got a JHM Journeyman anvil, a gas forge, folding anvil stand with spring vise, and hand tools for $250 by making a package deal. It never hurts to ask for a lower price, all they can say is no. If it is out of your budget do not be afraid to walk away. But you are making an informed decision by coming here and asking.

Good luck

Hey Dave'
I'd say it's a good buy if it isn't delaminated at the work surface. It looks pretty good from the photo. My anvil is only 180#, it'll be all you need for hand work. I picked up my peter wright from Uncle Henry's, but there getting harder to find. Saw two Last week, at Liberty Tool and Elmers barn,"both in Maine". Neither was that cheap or in that good a shape. I'd grab it. Humphry

Wow, all kinds of people from Maine on here, might as well chime in. I'd say go for it, at worst you can put it right back up for sale, at best you will have a nice anvil and a good start. I feel your pain with the scarcity of equipment up this neck of the woods, my main hobby is foundry work, my son and I are just getting into smithing. There are NO suppliers north of Lewiston for most things that would be used in a foundry, and shipping from buying online is a killer.
I've seen a few anvils around, I haven't checked Liberty tool yet, but I have looked at one of the offshoots, Capn' Tinkhams in Searsport and they didn't really have anything. Right up the road is a junk barn that had three anvils, one small one with the heel broken at the hardie for $125, a Peter Wright for $300, and a large nice one (at least 200 lbs+-) with a really nice working face for $400. This was in the middle of August, tho, so I don't know if they would still be there. I want to get down to Hulls Cove tool Barn one of these days and have a look around. I say go for it, offer $200 with cash in hand, see what they say.