I Forge Iron

4" ball bearing

I am looking for a 4" ball bearing to help someone who wears a prosthec leg. He wears special wool socks and when they are washed the "toe" seems to shrink more than the top. He has tried using a round cylinder to streach out the toe but I was thinking a ball shape would work better.
Does anyone know where to purchase a ball bearing that big? Or any other ideas?
Thanks William

A forged ball from a 'blacksmith' component catalogue company (Maybe Centaur in the US, Lecky metal or FH Brundle here in the UK) would possibly be less expensive,

or what about a copper forged ball Two halves domed and secured together, (or a plastic Cistern valve float) would be better, lighter and not rusting which may be important if he doesn't always wear brown socks.

do you know anyone who works around an old coal fired boiler unit? they have ball mills that crush the coal into talc powder then blow the fuel into the boiler. the balls on these thins are about 3+ inch in dia. .....Or you could find a ball hitch around 3" if i remeber corectly add a handle to it and that may stretch the sock out for him

WOW Thank you for the ideas, I will let him know and see what works. I am amased and proud of you guys and gals that contributed and idea or two. Like the Bible says there is wisdon in the councle of many... Again Thanks William
Chrisfrick the streaching of the sock happens after the socks are washed and dried.

Use a Wiffleball......

Wiffle ball gets my vote.

A steel bearing will kill everything in the washer including the washer. :o Not that it'd get a chance, as soon as the agitator started moving whoever is around, say within 2 neighbors in any direction, will rush in and shut it off.

Frosty

If your man puts the sock over the ball wet that would tend to prevent the shrinkage in the first place. If the wiffle ball is what I think it is, like an open mesh plastic, that would aid in air circulation, just let the sock dry over the ball. Repeated shrinking and stretching can't be god for the sock material doesn't matter what it's made from.

Maybe he could also try some Martha Stewart type non shrinking wash methods, like washing in cold water only.

I recommend that he consider purchasing socks sold as Diabetic socks as they are designed not to bind or cause foot issues, and also purchase those Diabetic socks a size larger than the label says they are.

If he purchases socks without problems, then it will not be necessary to deal each day with stretching the socks. Stretching socks that have problems is like giving aspirin to a person that is banging their head against the wall.

Edited by UnicornForge