I Forge Iron

Husband's tools need a home

My husband recently passed away and I am trying to find a good home for his tools. He has a Peter Wright Anvil that I am trying to to find out if it has any value. On the side of the anvil : Top Line is PETER WRIGHT, Below that in a circle are the words Solid Wrought with a 0 in the circle. Of the side and a little lower is the number I believe to be 15. It stands on a tree stump and is mounted on wheels so that it can be moved around the shop. It is in the northwest Georgia area.

Edited by NancyK
added information

sorry for your loss , it would help if you told us where you where it may make it easier to get rid of the stuff and maybe help out some the smiths in your area, or maybe even get someone to check your stuff out and give an estimate of its worth. pictures would also help us on the website. if your not to far i would love to pick some up. get it off your hands so to say.

I am in North West Georgia.

Anvil_001.JPG Anvil_0022.JPG Anvil_0041.JPG Anvil_0061.JPG
I have tried to upload some pictures to the gallery.

My husband first got his start pounding on hot metal from his grandfather, He was around 3 years old at the time. Through the years he was tool maker in the Aero Space Industry. But, he made many customs tools for the wood carvers, scuppers, glass blowers, if the person could draw what he wanted Bill could make it.

In general if it's in poor but usable condition the bottom price is around US$1 per pound. If it is in extremely good condition the top price will be around US$3 a pound.

If it's unusable or mint untouched the price may be outside those bounds.

There should be 3 sets of numbers on the side indicating weight: the first is hundredweights, CWT's, which are 112 pounds, the second is quarter hundred weights, 28 pounds and so can only be a 0,1,2,3 and the last is the remainder in pounds and so can only be 0-27.

So for an anvil marked X Y ZZ it would weigh (112 x X) + (28 x Y) + (ZZ)

Seems like we had a fellow bemoaning his inability to find an anvil down that way fairly recently.

My deepest sympathies for your loss Nancy.

It sounds like these tools meant a lot to Bill and he would probably appreciate them going to someone who will put them to use rather than a collector. Still, higher on his list I think he'd like them to provide as much for you as possible.

That is a beautiful anvil and appears to be in superb condition, it should fetch top dollar or close. If the rest of his tools are in as good condition they will bring in fair money and make someone very happy to get them.

My best to you and yours.

Frosty

My deepest sympathies too Nancy, tools are very personal and special things to their owners and im sure you will be able to find the right new home for them all. Im in the uk so too far! but it looks like a lovely anvil, i know the guys on here who live near you will help you out with your task, and make sure you get a fair price. Love from Uk

First of all, My syspathy for your loss...
Your Phone # has been removed to protect YOU! If you need to give it to someone here on IFI you can do so by clicking on their name, there you can click on "send a private message to...." This way some creep can't get your # and take advantage of you. We do have lurkers here and I'm sure most are good honest folks but I'm also sure there are those of the other kind.
I agree with Frosty, you have a wonderful anvil and it should command top dollar. And if this is any indication of your husbands other tools then they too will bring a good price. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have. TDean

Attached are photos of my husband's lathe that needs a new home. It is a Grizzle model #G4003. it has a 6" 3 jaw chuck, an 8" 4 jaw chuck with reversible jaws, Quick Change tool post, extra tool holders, Steady rest, 10"face plate, 1/2" drill chuck, 1 1/2 horse power motor, Single Phase/60Hz, 220V, RPM 1725. 36" between centers. and the instruction manual manual.

Please contact me PM if your interested.
Thanks
Nancy

16394.attach

16395.attach

16396.attach

16397.attach

I was in Oakman yesterday right there on HGY-411 , Slept in a old abandoned truck stop there. If I'd would have known you were in the Area, I would have give you a shout. I could use some more tools.. lol.. I guess that's the way it goes. I maybe back in the area tomorrow, I gotta deliver in Atlanta and may head back up to Benton, Tenn to pick up another load of water.

• 3 weeks later...

I sure appreciate the tools Miss Nancy, Me and Laura just got home, On the way home I was trying to figure out how I was going to lift out the anvil with it still attached to the stand, Plus the forge, My son is at the movies and I gotta hit the road and head to Alabama, and he said he would come over with a friend and unload them after the movies. ..but I know how things turn out with the boy. So I was figuring on using my Cherry picker to get them out, And On the way down the country road that we live on I noticed that I was being followed. I pulled in the driveway and this feller gets out and introduces his self and said he has been blacksmithing for along time and noticed the Anvil and stuff, and decided he would follow me and meet me.. come to find out he lives a couple miles down the road from me..After he helped me unload the stuff we got to talking and I think I found me a forging partner. .. The Lord works in Mysterious way's..

16825.attach

16826.attach

16827.attach

16828.attach

16829.attach

16830.attach