I Forge Iron

465lb anvil

I have access to a 465lb anvil. The owner worked at a salvage yard in his younger days and this anvil was "kicked" around for several years. The scrapyard owner claimed that if anyone could pick it up, they could have it. You know the rest of the story. He is interested in selling it. Does anyone have any interest in this anvil. I will get pics in the next day or two. He wants around $5.00/lb but money talks. it could probably be picked up for around $2000.

Matt

Yes, I think used anvils have lost some value due to the availability of high quality new ones. Good specimens were scarce as hen's teeth when I started 'smithing in the early 80's so I had to learn to repair ones I came across. Nowadays, I would pay the money for a new one and put it to immediate use rather than spend time on repairs.

I agree with that. If I add up my shop time to weld and grind (won't even get into heat treat) to most of the great anvils advertised today. Might as well buy a new one. Great anvil minor chips. ( Half the face is gone)Only $4.50lb My H-Bs have been re horned and edges redone. Not for profit. 40hrs at $50-$100 per hour. No I do not advise or offer to fix yours. An unseen large anvil is worth nothing over scrap weight. Have seen too many
rare blacksmiths anvils (rr track) rare hammers (cobblers) Rare tongs(fireplace) If it says blacksmiths its worth Mo Money. I would like to see who where and how old you are.
Ken

I agree with that. If I add up my shop time to weld and grind (won't even get into heat treat) to most of the great anvils advertised today. Might as well buy a new one. Great anvil minor chips. ( Half the face is gone)Only $4.50lb My H-Bs have been re horned and edges redone. Not for profit. 40hrs at $50-$100 per hour. No I do not advise or offer to fix yours. An unseen large anvil is worth nothing over scrap weight. Have seen too many
rare blacksmiths anvils (rr track) rare hammers (cobblers) Rare tongs(fireplace) If it says blacksmiths its worth Mo Money. I would like to see who where and how old you are.
Ken

I am Matt Wheaton, I live in NE Oklahoma. What does my age have to do with anything. I am 31. The guy wants to sell and I told him I would post on this site for interest. I do not know what it is worth. Nor do I know if it is rare or super-fantastic.

Matt

You can get an exquisite NIMBA Gladiator Anvil 450 lbs. Brand New for only $2,275

Over a possible beater from a scrap yard for just a little less? Unless there is something really special about this anvil it is grossly overpriced. My 515# Fisher in MINT condition ran me US$350! My 407# Trenton in beater condition ran me $100 + a 125# PW + screw&screwbox for a postvise.

That old girl is not in bad shape; I'd certainly buy it for the right price - but not anything close to a new anvil of like size.

Look for letters somewhere on it and let us know. It has the lines of a Trenton but it's really hard to say without some reference markings.

PW's usually have a relatively thin faceplate so the ledge would likely be shorter. However, they made them for a long time so we'll probably never know if you don't find lettering somewhere to provide a clue.

As Brian said, most American makes are marked in lbs - not cwt.

• 3 weeks later...