I Forge Iron

1/2" sq. Shepard hook

Hey y'all,
Recently my Great Grandpa passed away. I wanted to do something special for his grave because he always liked for me to show him what I was making at the time. So I decied I would forge a shepards hook out of 1/2" sq. The Hook is bent on the dimond. It has a few reverse twists in it. The end that goes in to the ground has 2 pieces of angle iron on opposite sides to keep the wind from blowing it over.
Chris

14498.attach

14499.attach

14500.attach

Nice work.

Yes, bending on the -- diamond -- is rarely seen, and hard to do and keep true. (Well, unless you have V groove dies/rollers in a bender.) But it is one of those little ... details ... that tends to catch the eye a little more.

And I always have liked the look of two tight reversed twists. You get a lot a style and transitions (changes in visual planes) with two quick twists.

One note about cemeteries: Be sure to check with the manager/groundskeeper about any rules or guidelines for placing things around a grave. Some have rules, some do not. It becomes more important when they have to mow the lawns around the headstones. Most allow a hanger or pedestal mount for flower pots as long as it is placed right next to the headstone - touching it.

Again, nice work.
Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands
- trying to remember the last time I bent square stock on the diamond - too long ago

Great work Chris.

It's good to see a young 'un who honors those that have gone before him.

I know he's proud of you.

Don (who still thinks the world of both his grandfathers)

Good work Hammerkid. Most don't think of bending square the hard way. With a bending fork, it really isn't that hard if the stock is HOT (same heat you would use for the twist). You have some nice work there. Someday you will be the grandpa.