I Forge Iron

forged spurs

I made these spurs for a local horseshoer. I split the rasp the length of the heel band on both ends, cut the rasp in half, and folded it over long ways, then forged the shank. I have seen others done with just a more or less straight shank. These in my opinion have much more

14342.attach

Very nice. I agree that they look more classy with the bent shank. Also easier to use than a straight one. I'm just a little lost as to how you split the rasp and forged it. Could you clarify? I have a few horseshoe rasps dying to get used for something to clean up some clutter.:D

Very nice. I agree that they look more classy with the bent shank. Also easier to use than a straight one. I'm just a little lost as to how you split the rasp and forged it. Could you clarify? I have a few horseshoe rasps dying to get used for something to clean up some clutter.:D

Here's a thread that shows it - about post 18. Suspect jevaccaro is using a similar technique
http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f7/rasp-spurs-9805/index2.html

Straight shank, dropped shank, raised (or gooseneck shank) has much to do with the riders leg and stirrup length. A long legged rider on a smaller horse really needs a gooseneck type spur or he has to get out of position to use the spur. A short guy like me that generally rides bigger horses and likes a shorter stirrup to boot needs a dropped shank or the spur is continually in the horses side.

jevaccaro,
Thanks for the photo. They are very eye catching!
It just so happens that I am trying to learn how to make spurs as we type.
I am studying the Bruce Cheaney DVD's on how to make spurs.
I got voulme I and II.
My eyes are open to any and all suggestions.
Ted Throckmorton

Here's a thread that shows it - about post 18. Suspect jevaccaro is using a similar technique
http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f7/rasp-spurs-9805/index2.html

Straight shank, dropped shank, raised (or gooseneck shank) has much to do with the riders leg and stirrup length. A long legged rider on a smaller horse really needs a gooseneck type spur or he has to get out of position to use the spur. A short guy like me that generally rides bigger horses and likes a shorter stirrup to boot needs a dropped shank or the spur is continually in the horses side.

small table saw with a metal cutoff blade and a fence would work really well here...just make sure all the wood saw dust is out!

Sorry to be so slow in replying. The thread Rasp Spurs shows the same basic method of making these spurs. Split about 4 - 4.5 inches from both ends, cut it in half, fold, forge the shank, spread the heal band. I weld the center of the heal band and the open part of the shank. They are quick and easy to forge, sanding off the teeth is the slowest part.
Here are pictures of forged one piece spurs. These are made from a 12" piece of 3/4" sucker rod. Any one else making spurs?
John
I'll add that one rasp makes one pair, there was some question about that.

14350.attach

14351.attach

Edited by jevaccaro

I've found that a straight shank, unless a short bumper style like used in english disciplines, tips too easily due to leverage but a downward bend, even a slight one, seems to let them roll a bit better without tipping, even when the rowel is in the same place. The curve seems to work with the angle you move with to use them. I don't jab with my spurs though, I let them tickle the horse with a slight heel raise, seems to work better for me. My main riding horse will let you jab him all day and not listen but the lightest roll has him responding.

As for rowel position, you can set it in the same position as a straight shank, but yes, it does depend on leg length, stirrup lenght and horse chest size as well as riding style, amount of leg control and effect you want and what you're doing too. Like many things, it's up to the person to decide what works best for them out of the ones that work best for others. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Nice work no doubt.......could you post pics of the leather straps showing how they are fastened to the boot?

2m671g6.jpg
2603kgj.jpg

rthibeau-
I apologize for not getting back to the forum sooner. I have let work interfere with things more enjoyable. Do these pictures answer your question?
John

I was in a feed store today looking about and walked past some spurs. I as I went past I asked myself "I wonder if people still forge spurs? That may be a cool thing to try out." And then I came home and found this post. Those look awesome by the way.

• 1 year later...