I Forge Iron

help identifying an anvil

First off - hello all. I'm new to blacksmithing, after taking a three-day training course with a local smith named Shawn Cunningham. I have an opportunity to buy an anvil locally, and I was supplied with the following photos (I have not been able to drive out and see it myself yet). I photoshopped the images to darken and 'relief' the lettering a little bit (that's why it's darker brown over the letters), but I still can't quite make out what it says. I can make out "___B INC OMAHA" (?) on the center, but not much else.

Any help would be much appreciated - I'm hoping to take a look at it on the weekend. Any comments on its suitability for general blacksmithing are welcome too - I'm definitely a greenhorn here :)

13846.attach

13847.attach

13848.attach

Edited by archimed

If they are giving it away, I'd take it, otherwise save your money, looks like the face has been plug welded back onto the base. Note the three "holes" and the line on the half of the face nearest the horn--not standard on many anvils I have seen!

Edited by keykeeper

The wording above the line with the "B" in it appears to be "solid wrought". If it is then the most likely the front of the face and the step were probably considered irrepairable and had to be replaced. It would certainly be a negotiating tool to get the price down. You'd have to make sure the repair is solidly attached.

Also, it looks like there is a number 169 underneath the "B" line. If that's the weight then consider $50 for the vise leaving $200 for the anvil. Not terribly high but certainly negotiable.

And it looks like there is a hardy cut-off in the hardy. Maybe you can get more hardy tools to go wth the anvil and vise.

Are there other anvils in your area to buy?

Edited by Iron Falcon 72
more words

buy the vise and all the hardy tools the guy has. hardy tools are hard to make without power tools so get a rr track or BIG hamer head and set those in a stump or concrete until you get a real anvil. it worked for me for 4months so it may work for you. the leg vise is maybe worht 50 or $75 with hardy tools so go for that. good luck and hope your smithing works out.

As for the origin of the anvil, I would guess it was probably made by an Omaha foundry, perhaps even a rail yard. I was told that they made there own anvils as needed at times and they certainly had the equipment and man power to do it at the time. Guessing late 19th- early 20th century. A friend of mine who used to work at Union Pacific yard here in Omaha said even as late as the early 1980s he helped make some small anvils as "home projects" in the foundry. Cant find any info on foundries or rail yards ending in "B" however.

Wow, thanks so much for the replies.
I'm probably going to drive out and visually inspect the anvil (and vise) this weekend. I've kept my eye on local anvil sales (within a 2 hour drive), and this is the only one that has went up for sale in the last couple of months. I'll definitely check out the quality of the repair. I did not realize that hardys were that difficult to build (makes sense when I think about what they do)... I'm definitely going to ask if they have more of those.
Interesting re: the origin. I did not expect it to be that old - when I go out there I'm going to take a few more photos, maybe one will reveal the exact date.

I'm going to put in an offer on the vise ($50) and let them know that the face of the anvil has been damaged.. I doubt they know what they're selling. It looks to be a couple who are selling off items they found inside of an old grain shed on their farm.

Until then - I'll continue my hunt for some railroad track :)

Just an update to my anvil quest - it looks like the seller preferred to sell the whole package to someone else for her asking price, rather than sell me the hardies and vise. Guess I'll keep looking locally for a length of railroad rail.

• 2 weeks later...

Another anvil has went up for sale locally - this one's a Kohlswa - the owner believes it's a 100# farrier's anvil. I only have one photo so far, but I've e-mailed her/him asking for a couple more. The threads I've read over the last hour are pretty positive about the Kohlswa's, but any additional input would be great. Selling price is $350, but I might be able to get it for $300.

Also available from a different person is a Peter Wright 195# for $500 (second photo)... this seller is a farrier and it looks to have seen more use than the Kohlswa judging by the condition of the face.

14293.attach

14296.attach

Edited by archimed

If you can afford it the PW is the better deal. It appears to be in very good condition and is nearly 100lbs heavier. Heavier is better unless you're packing around frequently.

Kohlswas are fine anvils but that's pretty steep, especially for a 100lber

Frosty

yeah, that kinda does look like a weld bead, mauybe due to the repairs the pw is beter. and thank you for saying thanks. but $3 a pound for a used anvil is pretty steep. maybe a new anvil would be better, but it is your choice not mine. good luck.

Again - I appreciate the thoughtful replies. I did not notice the weld myself and probably would have missed it altogether unless you all had noticed it.

$3/# is a bit steep for me too, especially with the low weight. I'm going to send a note to the seller of the PW and see if they're not willing to budge on the price -

I might also stop by my local farrier supply - I believe that they sell brand new NC brand anvils.

well this 15yr old has 2 anvils (omigod the fisher is great and rr trackis not so great, but it is flat and metal). but from what i know $3 a pound for a used anvil is pushing the upper limits. altough i would buy it, if i had the cash.rhino anvils i have heard that rhino anvils are decent, but have never used one myself, so don't take my word for it.http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f83/rhino-240-a-12008/ this is a thread that has philip in china (another member) talking about and sorta reveiwing his new rhino 240 is a tad expensive for a begginer (this is posted by one :)). have fun getting an anvil. and i have bought sold and traded for 4 anvils: a steel road plate section, a rr tie plate, a rr track, and a 180# fisher norris. not much compared to some of you old salts out there ;D but a few for a newbie.

Edited by new guy
grammer and adding some stuff

Whew.. this thread is getting a little long in the tooth. I really appreciate everyone's time in identifying/commenting on these things.

I came across a new anvil this morning - looks to be casted much more recently. No word on price yet, but I'm curious if anyone has come across these "Canadian" brand anvils.. seems to be an interesting design. These were used by a farrier who lives a few hours away from me... he's switched to cold shoeing, so no longer needs 'em.

Edit: got a quote on pricing. $500 for the anvil (unsure of weight yet - something between 125 - 150#?). $150 for the anvil stand, and $200 for a NC Tools single burner gas forge. $800 for everything.

14521.attach

14522.attach

14523.attach

Edited by archimed

there is a farm auction in Ranfurly tomorrow with some anvils and a trip hammer and forges, I suspect they may go high. The last time I went to a farm aution near Lamont the first bid on the anvil was double my max price.