I Forge Iron

help identifying an anvil

I'm of two minds to go to that sale, the 2.5hr drive there and back and waiting around for what I want, plus the fear of what else I may buy has me leaning towards nope. After all that drive if I didn't get an anvil I have to buy something to make the trip worthwhile

I'm a bit iffy on it myself - I searched for other farm auctions closer to Edmonton, and there seem to be a couple that have anvils for sale. I'll probably attend one of those over the next couple of months.

But honestly, my experience at auction sales over the years has been that people get into bidding frenzies and way overbid for the quality of the equipment. I once saw a used computer sell for more than its value brand new :P

Welcome aboard Skloon, glad to have ya.

Things can get crazy at auctions but they're often well worth the time to go, good suggestion.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. Also if local folk know you're there they can invite you to gatherings, tip you to tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty

best plan for auctions go off season and crappy weather. Used to be on a list 5 houses
for an older hobby was great till i got a call drove down. Quickly found out about in season auctions. Items were going for 150% of retail. If you go set a price then walk if it goes over.
Ken

best plan for auctions go off season and crappy weather. Used to be on a list 5 houses
for an older hobby was great till i got a call drove down. Quickly found out about in season auctions. Items were going for 150% of retail. If you go set a price then walk if it goes over.
Ken

Great advice. I'm definitely setting a price for myself before attending - I can see how things get out of hand quickly.

Thanks again for all the responses in this thread by the way. I found myself a good section of RR track that I'll use as my first anvil :) I'll post a picture when I get it cleaned up and mounted on a stump.