I Forge Iron

Hot dog sticks

Nice Larry.

How much material is in the handles?

This is the kind of thing that's fun to do in a campfire. It only takes a few tools and it's well within youngster's abilities. Kind of like carving your own spoon before you can have dinner. A Boy Scout thing we did on camp outs.

Frosty

Anything I post here is free for the taking. If I were interested in keeping "secrets" I wouldn't post the pictures. Enjoy.

Frosty, there is 12" from the top of the eye to the bottom handle twist and they are actually kinda short handled. I'd say barely 4" of grabable handle. It probably would have been better to draw them out a bit longer and thinner.

I'm working on some more for others at work but trying a different handle design. I'll post some of that when I'm done.

I make "toasting forks" with old election sign frames---the one that are about 1/8" steel wire bend into a square U. As they are too flimsey as they stand I take a section and double it over at the mid point and twist them together, leaving an untwisted section at the bend to make a loop handle to hold and at the ends where I bend the pieces out and into the two tined fork.

I've made these with cub scouts where they got to do the twisting with me doing the piece manipulation from fire to vise and setting the twister for them.

Forks hold more and are less "swordlike" a concern with kids (and some adults as well!)