I Forge Iron

1/4" x 1/4" Square Bar

I have had quite a few Smiths asking me if 1/4" x 1/4" square bar was available for the last few years. I recently found a source. What I would like to know is whether or not it's worth it.  I'm figuring it's kind of hard to come by. Please let me know so I can make an informed decission.

Thank you,

Aldo Bruno

New Jersey Steel Baron, LLC 

I have wanted a source for longer lengths of 1/4" square stock for a few projects.  I'm not a big producer of things, but I do get rather tired of squaring up round bar because I can never get the edges really sharp and uniform like the rolling mills do.  The keystock around there is pretty pricey and not always available, so I wouldn't mind knowing I could call up the NJ Steel Baron and get a few 6' lengths of square mild.

All metal in any size available on the face of the planet is right here locally at a steel supply super warehouse. They are all over Northern OHIO. I would have thought there would be something similar close to everyone.......no???

http://www.spartasteel.com/products-1/

People bring me spring steel because they think I can use that.....and I have a a ton (literally one ton worth) of old crow bars cuz school buses had to remove them. U bolts.....I can't count them all.............

I enjoy having older used stuff...but sure is nice to play about with clean/ new 1018 in any size imaginable.

I have two steel suppliers near by (for NM values of nearness)  One claims that 1/4" hot rolled doesn't exist but they can sell me cold rolled for about double what the other sells me hot rolled for---but they say they are currently out of stock and haven't been able to find any.

OTOH I can walk the piles of the scrapyard near my shop and they will even put things aside for my next visit.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't remember the name of the company but about 10 years ago I bought 100 +/- 20' sticks of 1/4x1/4 hot rolled in Dallas TX.  My local supplier in Paris TX says it isn't available.  I think it depends on where you are.  I thought I would use it for small projects but haven't used much of it.  good thing it doesn't take up much space.

The OP evidently found out what he wanted, he only made the one post and may be gone.

Not that this isn't a good topic for discussion but I think we're not doing any good suggesting places for him to find stock of any kind.

Frosty The Lucky.

Aldo is good people and a heck of great resource if you want quality alloys for making blades.  He's the New Jersey Steel Baron and has been supplying quality metals to folks for quite some time.  I think it says a lot that he'd reach out to the smithing community for insight into how he can help them even more.