I Forge Iron

Tools to make Hammers

LDW

Heres a link to a pic of all the tools it takes to make a hammer the way Brian demonstrates at each of the classes. This is one set, less the two hammer blanks, and there is also an extra "cupping tool" or round hammer face swage, We are going to MN in September and will need ten sets of these tools to do the hammer making class there.

https://picasaweb.google.com/106506050631612810521/HammerMakingTools#5646783176958364338

From the top Hole Punch
Drift
Top Fuller
From Left to Right Hammer Tongs , Cupping Tool, Hump Tools, Matching bottom fuller

The two hammer blanks are 1045, the small one is 1 3/4" x 3 13/16"
the larger one is 2" x 4"

If I could figure out how to attach a pic to this I would.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Brian, thanks for the really quick reply. My striking partner has inspired me to try to make a Brazeal style rounding hammer, and it is really giving us a workout. We just did the hot cutting on the weekend, and it took 2 hours! It must have done a lot of work, since the bar was noticably upset on the cut ends. A lot harder than cutting 1" square bar. I'm afraid that I'll have to use the saw for the rest.

Looks great, guys!!
That will be one heck of a good class i am sure!
i can vouch for what brian said, i would never had even thought of cutting two 2 inch billets hot if it wasn't for his hot cut hardy. A shame my anvil was vibrating a fair bit though....So we lost lots of energy.

alec

How is the dishing tool made? I'm sure you use a rounding hammer, but let's say I don't have one. What would you recommend ? Perhaps a ball bearing but what radius? Or do you have different radiuses for different sized hammers.
Thanks, Marc

Cavala, we use a ball fuller, and it is not a half sphere or a certain radius. It is like the rounding hammers where it is more like a squashed ball. You could use a swage block like I used to that has a swage for making ladles, just don't bottom the hammer out when you're forging the faces. The main thing about what makes a rounding hammer the best choice for forging with is the number of different radi or fullers you have to choose from by the degree in witch you tilt your hammer. If you only have one certain radius, you only have one radius to choose.
This hardy can be made in 15-30 minutes. It is the first thing that we will have each team make in the class.
Start by heating up an appropriate piece of metal. Hold the hot end on the anvil at an appropriate angle and have the striker strike at the appropriate angle with half hammer faced blows. Turn 1/4 turns after each hit until the end of the taper is about 3/4" square. Now change .the angle of your hold to an appropriate angle and have your striker strike half hammer face blows starting where your forging stopped and started and move down the taper after every 2 quarter turns until the end of the taper is reached. Now use the flatter to straighten and planish by having your striker strike once on all four sides and all four diagonals.
Now take another heat and cut off an appropriate sized piece depending on how large of a cupping tool you are wanting to make.
Take another heat and seat the stem of the hardy and upset the hardy with both people striking.
Take another heat and hold the hardy shank parallel and perpindicular while holding a set or flatter for your striker to strike. You can forge square, octagon, to round, or you can forge hex. We've done them round, octagon, and hex. This will hollow out the upset part of the hardy.
Take another heat and finish the cup with the ball fuller and your striker. Forge to finish by keeping the scale brushed out and planish at the lower heats.
5 heats is all it takes, but if you miss a heat, take another.

Wow thanks that was very thorough. I think I may give it a try. I should just take one of your classes but I don't really know where you have them. If you're ever in the southeast (Louisiana) giving a class maybe I will.

I tried making a dishing tool from the pictures that were posted of one a year or so ago I could not get it deep enough,but after taking a class with Brian he pointed out to mushroom over the top part of the dish and then drive ball end fuller in to it it more or less form's itself. what I used for a ball fuller was a 2¼ trailer ball with a wire wrapped handle ...

Portable tripod beater, that is an anvil!
I sure am glad I made it. That thing has helped me and others make hundreds of top and bottom tools and hammers, also. Most of the people that struck on it had never struck before, and there are the scars to prove it.
Mine is made from mild steel, because that is what I had. Mild will work and may be best for a "beater", but just about any brick of metal about that size would work. Mine is 4" x 2 1/2" x 10", but your brick would be even better.

Brian,

You said that the fullers were 1.5"; diameter.Does this mean that the curve on them would be part of a 1.5" circle?

If so, how wide are the fullers - since they are clearly not a cylinder?

Also the support tools - do they have the same radius as the fullers? and how wide (thick) are they?

Finally, I want to say that I have found your posts very informational and inspirational.

I'm in a bit of a quandry about where to start right now. I want to forge a hammer like yours, but I have to back up and make these tools first. Unfortunately, I don't think I even have all the tooling to make these tools yet.
I have: anvil(securely mounted), swage block with cupped indents, cut-off hardy (flat-topped) and a 2.5 lb hammer. I also have a sledge, 8 lbs I think.
I don't have: tongs for large stock, hammer eye punch, hammer drift, flatter, or well developed muscles.
The trouble is, with my skinny arms, and no one available to be striker more often than not, each of these is a fairly large project for me.

Do you have a suggested order of what tool should be made before what? Sort of like a progression, first make this, and you will have a better tool to help you make this......

Thanks for any help!

Brian,

You said that the fullers were 1.5"; diameter.Does this mean that the curve on them would be part of a 1.5" circle?
Yes
If so, how wide are the fullers - since they are clearly not a cylinder?
3/4" wide
Also the support tools - do they have the same radius as the fullers? and how wide (thick) are they?
yes
Finally, I want to say that I have found your posts very informational and inspirational.
thank you, and I can see you are paying attention
I'm in a bit of a quandry about where to start right now. I want to forge a hammer like yours, but I have to back up and make these

tools first. Unfortunately, I don't think I even have all the tooling to make these tools

I have: anvil(securely mounted), swage block with cupped indents, cut-off hardy (flat-topped) and a 2.5 lb hammer. I also have a sledge, 8 lbs I think.
I don't have: tongs for large stock, hammer eye punch, hammer drift, flatter, or well developed muscles.
The trouble is, with my skinny arms, and no one available to be striker more often than not, each of these is a fairly large project for me.

Do you have a suggested order of what tool should be made before what? Sort of like a progression, first make this, and you will have a better tool to help you make this......

Thanks for any help!

First you need a punch and drift like this:

Then you make the handled punch
Then the top and bottom tools, and by then you'll see that you need to get a striker or a power hammer.
Alec S came here from England and spent 12 days with me and Lyle,LDW, and he and Monty have been forging hammers and top and bottom tools since he has been back to England. They had never used strikers before, but they get together and do it now. Alec is not a large person either. He is 13 years old and weighs less than 100 pounds. The lone blacksmith is a modern phenomenon.

Hi Brian. The anvil is securely anchored, and does not move a bit, but the hardy is a loose (sleeved) fit. In addition, both the hardy and the handled top cut have square edges, not deeply rounded like yours. A quick bit of thought reveals that this adds considerably to the workload. A hot cutting job scales as the bar diameter squared due to the amount of cutting, then cubed because of the increased deformation due to the wedge shape, and perhaps to the fourth power because of the increased resistance to deformation of the thicker bar. That means 16x versus a 1" bar. I'm afraid it was about that bad, and I was beat.

Then it looks like time to make a new hot cut. The one I use has the "fancy" Champion Tool stamp, but it has so many cracks ground out of it that it looks like an ice carving. Good thing that I didn't pay Ebay prices for it, or catch a flying piece of the struck end.

Thanks, Brian!

As I read these comments I was also looking forward to trying my turn at this new venture of making a hammer. After trying forever just to get the hammer hole through I was ready to give up, the gas forge was just not putting out the heat. Even though I get my coal for free it is just crap( 25% ash) it serves its purpose to supply heat but that's all. Doing some work at a local mill I was asked if I could use some coal which had been laying around for 30 years. I now have a greater respect for good coal . The cutting was like butter the forming was just as good. For a first try it was ok but still will be used in the" back" shop. All this rambling on leads to one point the greatest tool for making hammers is a good heat.

I call the two rectangular pieces next to the corner of the tong jaws in the picture hump tools.
They are just an adjustable bolster for supporting the hammer or top tool while driving the drift.
I came up with them as a simple solution for being able to do classes and clinics with the WCB. They travel around the country doing farriers competitions with ten forging stations, and their anvils all have a one inch hardy hole. The hump tools enable me to forge hammers on anvils with one inch holes.