I Forge Iron

HELP!!!!!!! I have lizards.

Leah

Ok, this is about as non-blacksmithing as it gets. I have little lizards all in my house. Steve is no help. All he does is laugh when I let out a scream and run into the living room and beg him to kill it. I am not usually afraid of critters and these would be cute if they were not running over my toes when I walk into the kitchen and turn on the light. They are very small, tan and have light purple to pink spots on them. I swear, I have not been drinking any mushroom tea or anything like that. I have heard of people using "snake away" or moth balls or even sulphur to keep snakes out of places. Do you think this would work for lizards? I am about ready to move out of my house and just let them have the place. I don't have any bugs (that I know of) in my house and I don't let anything sit in the sink with water in it for them to drink, so why are they in here with me? I just had one fall out of a pair of jeans when I picked them up out of the dirty clothes hamper. I did not know I could make a sound like that. Come on folks, I really need some help here.

Irnsrgn and Rthibeau beat me to it, but there's a reason you don't see any bugs. You're in the process of driving yourself mad over the best little exterminators you could ever wish for.

Do like they've done on safari for as long as they've had 'em. Before you put it on, shake it out. Particularly your boots, but you shouldn't have to worry about anything but slow lizards twixt yer toes. :-)

If you start running into fat black, orange spotted lizards, that's a whole nuther ball game!

If you'll take the time to sit and watch the ones you have, they are really cool little critters to have around. Chinese took to crickets just because they didn't have cool little lizards for good luck. :-P

Leaping Lizzards !!

Do an internet search on that critter and find out more about him. Do a web search on herpetology, Reptile, Amphibian, Lizards, or Identification. Chances are you may want to reconsider and keep them around. If nothing else, capture one and take it to the county extension agent for identification. Those folks can most likely identify it, and provide a wealth of information on the subject.

Be thankful they are not little baby skunks :)

On the matter of infestations-I like lizards too, don't kill or get rid of them please. You could bag em and ship em to me.

Be glad you don't have my shop problem.

BIG HAIRY SPIDERS. These big females thick bodies and long hairy legs will just barely fit on the palm of your hand. I let them stay mostly, they too eat a lot of bugs and are generally shy. However, twice I have let em get a little out of control, and they seem to like my welding leather, the jacket especially. Many times I have had to evict them before putting it on. On two occasions I have forgotten to check and while deep into welding with the helmet on, I feel a tickle on my neck, a not unusual thing as I have hair that when untied hangs to the middle of my back. Both times are almost identical, but this last time is certainly representative of events. Shortly after the tickle they have crawled out of the collar and up my face. Not being easily excited I have simply stopped the torch and removed the helmet, attempted to remove her and sought assistance from an apprentice. Who promptly backs away from me with a look of total horror, and a mouth full JC's an F's. I at this point have managed to guide it off my face and down my arm but cant seem to shake it, so the apprentice then, with much coaxing, begins to gingerly and at arms length and ready to run, WITH welding gloves on, push it around and then back off, push it and run and so on for a minute or so, which of course just irritates her---and of course it ends up running back on my head. Since I can't get a grip with the welding gloves, I have to once again pluck the lady off my hair bare handed and put her out of the shop.

The apprentice (former apprentice actually) this last time says I am brave, way braver than he, and that he would have been running away and screaming like-these are his words not mine- like "a retard with his hair on fire".

I just laughed throughout the whole thing. Please send me your lizards! Oh and don't try to analyze why spiders like my jacket, my people here think its pheremones and that only spiders and snakes are attracted to me. Hmmm...

P.S. moth balls will probably work on lizards, but there is probably a whole somwhere that needs to plugged.

Leah:

it is obvious that one of AZ JOE's Stick Lizzards got loose. Don't worry the only venomous lizzard in the US lives far away from you. They do keep the bug population down and they are harmless.

Woody

I looked around a little bit, and it seems that reptiles don't like hi nitrogen fertilizer. getting them out maybe a bit tricky but then keep them out with the fertilzer. Maybe get Steve to catch a couple of them and do an experiment to see if they really are averse to this? I googled for lizard repellent to find this out.

I think you'all are approaching this lizard thing from the wrong direction.
Lizzards or Geckos probably, are all the rage as pets. I know at all the fairs Carnivals and the Boardwalk at the Jersey shore they sell like crazy.
Them and Hermit crabs! Anyway this could be a new business venture. Maybe you could start a Niche or trend by Selling the Geckos in hand forged cages. I can see the head lines in the Business mags "leah's Gecko Ranch " serving its elite clientel with its Hand forged Victorian Cages. Maybe even branch out it mini cages that can be worn around the neck on a gold chain by the Rappers with their little pet geckos "showing off their Bling Bling"
Alice Copper had Snakes, Ozzy the odd Bat or Bird, The Hilton Girls have their puffy little Dogs. You May be riding the next wave of Trend & fashion and all this right in your own Home. It's all how you look at it!?

Maybe the problem will resolve itself. There are many ant colonies in the rain forest that travel into different areas and exploit the food supply, then move on to the next place. I suppose it is possible for the lizards to move on when there is no adequate food resources available. You could be mean and just kill them off. Survival of the fittest says those that make poor decisions will not live to breed the next generation. You would be doing the lizards a favor for not having house broken lizard generations running around! I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

For those lizard lovers out there do not get all bent out of shape. I was just joking, and after all they are just lizards! HA!

;-)

Peyton

Leah I am not sure what kind of area you live in but if there are preteen boys or girls near by you might stage a catch a lizard earn a buck event,,,then provide aplacde to remove them to. Might be a good idea to hide the guns, Good luck
knives and maybe even put a padlock on the trebuchet while the kids are looking around.

Little tiny lizard cages....I like that idea.

Ok, I admit that the thought of not ever having bug in my house sounds good. If they were scampering up the wall, it would not be so bad. It is just that, when they crawl across my bare foot, I sort of make a sound that humans normally don't make. I will try to make peace with my new little friends.

I just have one question. If the lizards came around to feast on the bugs, what is going to show up to eat the lizards?

Thanks for the input.

Leah,
Sounds like Geckos to me. Maybe you can get the Geico people to film a commerical there and make oodles of money to buy new tools with.....

As far as I know the only poisionous lizard in the US in the arid southwest, the Gila Montster, and they are absolutley goregeous critters. OUr very own Thomas was getting injections of lizard saliva to help his diabetes, and developed beacy, shiny skin, and a funny way of slithering, a penchant for sunning himself on rocks, but we decided to just keep loving him anyway.

I suspect when the food source is gone the lizards will simply move on. As far as I know you don't have to worry about else moving in to eat the lizards, their main enemies are birds......

In Okinawa, in the older homes, geckos were exactly what they wanted. Kept the bugs down, and also made an alarm call if someone came in during the night. So, a burgerlar alarm that eats bugs!

Had a bad thing at work today. Fella tried to kill a blue racer snake. Poor little snake. I picked it up and moved it into the woods. Hope it survives. Snakes keep the pests down as well, and in general, they are good to have around. As long as they are not in your house or a poisonous species that threatens you or your pets.

Bob Harasim

What you describe sure does sound like the same sort of little geckos we have down here in the Virgin Islands. The locals call them "wood slaves." The like dark, undisturbed places and love to eat termites and other bugs. Their funny "slithery, wiggly" way of moving makes them sort of spooky until you get used to them. They're very beneficial and besides, the cat likes to play with them.

We also have regular little lizards by the millions, and several humping big iguanas. The regular lizards mostly stay out of the house, though they do come in form time to time and we just pitch them back out to save them from the cat. The iguanas mostly don't come in the house, but I've had a running battle with one big one that is determined to make a nest in my shop. We're talking a lizard about four feet long that weighs around fifteen pounds here, so it isn't just a cake walk to get her back outside. Iguanas will whip you with their tails and bite if provoked. Being forcibly evicted counts as provocation with them, it seems. Welder's gauntlets work well for iguana handling, if you care to try it someday.

Rich, you nailed it, they do kinda slither and wiggle.

Ellen, at least I don't have to worry about them being poison. But, they still may make me hurt myself.

I just make a lot of noise when I go into a room and that seems to work. I had some broomstraw in a paper bag by the back door the other night and one got to playing in there. Boy, it sounded like a pack of rats! I was a big girl and just picked up the bag and sat it outside.

Here's a picture Sally took of a young iguana that tried to sneak in when she opened the screen gate on the kitchen one day. Fortunately Sally saw it before she shut that heavy gate all the way, or it would have done in the poor little critter. They sure are a bright green when they're young, aren't they?

The other picture is of a more mature one in the calabash tree in the front yard. The round things are calabash "gourds", about the size of, and as hard as, a croquet ball.

We have lots of lizards!

172.attach

173.attach

• 4 weeks later...