I Forge Iron

First Hand hammer ,Progress

hammerkid

Hey Y`all,
Been working on my first hand hammer today. I started with a piece of 1.5"x1.5" inch 4140 4 1/4" long. I slitted & driffted the eye and started forging the rounding peen. I also forged out the the eye cheeks like Mr. Hofi does. I`ll keep y`all updated. I hope to finsh it VERY soon . Sorry but i forgot to take pictures. I`ll be making the handle from scratch, going cut the piece of dog wood to shape with bandsaw then sand to final shape.
Chris

Yeah and I'll bet you didn't stop even once for a drink or bathroom break. With that kind of dedication you'll go far. Unless of course someone wants to see your portfolio.

Send em to school, tutor em and they still forget the important things.

Frosty

CHRIS
FIRST OF ALL ''CONGRETULATION''
When I forged my first hammer 22 years ago (different from todays style) it took me
6 hours continuasly forging ,I was so happy and so very much joy thus when I came home I told my wife '' moove a side please to night I sleep with the hammer''
It was LONG time ago but I still remember this fantastic joy !!
Hofi

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking about your round face edges mostly. I can see you did a bit on your flat face. You have a nice crown on you flat face also, nice job.
A rounding hammer is much more versitile than a cross pein hammer because you have a cross pein on your rounding hammer when you tilt your flat face, and you have more surfaces on your round side when you tilt it. I rarely use a cross pein hammer because of this. My first hammer that I made for myself is on my avatar and it is a fullering hammer. It is also more versitile because of the surfaces I have to choose from.

Ok, I have enough 4140 to make me a "set" , if you will, of hammers by me, I Learned alot from my vist today to Big Blu on making hammers that will improve my hammers. I am going to make a new set of drifts and 2 more slitters for making hammer and the drifts will be long enough to drive in and hold under the Ph or on anvil to draw ou the cheeks.
Chris

The reason I asked is because I figured you were using a slitting chisel because I thought I saw a cold shut in your eye. The pics were a little blury. I use a slitting punch that looks like Tom's and Uri's but it has a different grind that makes it a punch. You cannot avoid a cold shut when using a chisel through a thick peice of metal when you go through part way then the rest of the way from the other side. There is an article in Today's ProFarrier of us forging a rounding hammer that shows the tools. but here are some pics also.

12477.attach

12478.attach

12479.attach