I Forge Iron

First Hand hammer ,Progress

hammerkid

Brain, Yes I did get some "rag" in the eye then broke it out by bending it , should I file that out or leave it , got to thinking but aint sure would that atucally help hold the handle?:confused: Also what did you make your tools from? Mind if I copy em? I think I `ll make me about 2 more slitters like Tom used and and make those handled tools for me to use witha striker at home and have the other slitters for when I can use wayne`s Blu.
Chris

Don't worry about the cold shut. It won't effect the hammer. All of Tom's hammers have it; Uri uses a punch press now so his no longer have it. I'm pretty picky especially with my own work. The punch is more efficient though because you're not dragging that bubble through your hole until it bursts which is what causes that cold shut.
My tools are made from the same 4140 that I make the hammers and top tools with. There are better steals out there but I get 4140 for free from a suspension shop nearby. And I'm doing everything by hand with a striker so as long as I take care they'll do the job. They are easier to forge than the expensive high tech stuff. If I had a similar source, I'd rather be using staight carbon steals like 1045 for the hammers and higher carbon for the punches.

Sorry, I didn't answer all your questions. No, that rag will not really help hold your handle on. What holds your handle on is the inside shape of your eye. If you do your final drift on the side you choose for the top of your hammer, it will be the biggest side for your wedges to go in. Also keep your handles dry that you are planning on installing by storing them above your water heater or somewhere similar. Monte Habermann, a smith from Orange County stressed that point, so they are as shrunk up as much as possible when they go on because humidity will affect them afterwards. I don't mind if you copy any of this. I hope you do and it may lead you to help me out someday.

Ok thanks Brian. I will probally file that out. Iam going making 2 more slitters like the one I used to make me a handled set like you use, cause I will be doing it by hand at home with a striker. I want to have a Ph set and hand/strikeing set of tools. I`ll only need one drift though (well probally 2) but the same style cause thhey are longer then what Iam using so I can hold the head by the drift while I`am drawing the cheeks out.

Frosty, Those pictures on took in a hurry , give me a few minutes and I`ll get better ones.

Thanks, Chris
PS, Brian, I`am going print all this to save to my Smithing Binder.

That is wicked cool. You're getting better at focusing too, only four out of five were bleary this time. Don't worry, wait till the excitement dies down some and you can hold the camera steady, then take a couple pics. :rolleyes:

Like that's going to happen! :D

Frosty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The hammer is Finally DONE!!!! I hardened and tempered it Saturday with the help of Jason AKA Ragtag. My uncle made and put a handle in it today. I will get pictures uploaded probably Wednesday. It weighs in at 2.75lbs with the handle , which is what I wanted.
Chris:D;)

Thanks!

Yeah frosty got to know him quite well. He was a character. He told me about him skipping school and going to the blacksmith`s shop and crank his blower for him, he said the smith would yell at him for going to fast , he had a lot more details in that story but not very appropriate for the site LOL:D.

Chris

That's great, you'll have to tell me some of the stories some time. I only have vague memories of one of my grandfathers. My Father's Father died in the flue epidemic of 1917 and all I have are a couple pictures.

Frosty