I Forge Iron

Dumb question

Not to sound condescending mate, but if you don't know that then are you really sure you should be messing around with propane?? Potential Darwin Award there bloke.

On my system you turn the regulator anti clockwise to increase pressure and clockwise to turn the pressure down/off. Same with the valve on the propane bottle itself. Anti clockwise opens the valve, clockwise closes it.
That said:

I SERIOUSLY RECOMMEND ATTENDING A LOCAL GROUP BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE.
ANY FLAMMABLE GAS CAN BECOME EXPLOSIVE IN THE RIGHT CONDITIONS.
LACK OF KNOWLEDGE WILL ONLY EVER INCREASE THE CHANCES OF MEETING THOSE 'RIGHT' CONDITIONS.

Mine is clockwise to increase also, but I don't know as though it is a standard of any sort, they could vary between manufactuers I suppose but all the ones I have are clockwise. If it doesn't say on the knob and you don't have a gauge on it then which ever way feels like the knob is getting tighter is the direction that will be increasing your psi, but it is really best to have a gauge on the reg. so you know what your psi is set at.

welder19

This is on a Fisher 67ch-743 regulator. It's not marked on the knob.
While I appreciate all the concern for my safety, I'm Ok. I do know how to turn the gas at the tank on and off and how to turn the ball valve inline between the regulator and the orifices on and off.

The gauge is a good idea.

The reason I asked is turning the knob doesn't seem to have any appreciable effect on the fire. I was referred to these instructions: NJBA Page - NJBA, Propane Gas Forge Use and Safety
Note that no. 19 seems to imply that the regulator will be at minimum pressure if the knob is turned completely out or loose. On my valve that would be anti-clockwise.

Also, although they don't specifically say so I assume that the ball valve should be either full open or full closed.

Thanks for the feedback.

All the gas pressure regulators I have had experience with are clockwise to increase the pressure. You should see an in crease in the gauge even with the smallest turn of the knob. Turning counterclockwise to decrease pressure, you may not see a change til you open a valve farther down the line.

Just my 2 cents

Ian and Rob both live in places where they drive on the wrong side of the road so it isn't surprising their regulators turn opposite of the ones in the states. Here only the fittings on flammable gas tanks is left hand thread the regs work just like all the others.

I'd put a gauge on it soonest, if adjusting the reg makes no difference there's something wrong and there are so many possibilities I'm not going to go into them.

Getting together with someone with experience with these devices is the best advice you've gotten and I'll add my vote in favor.

Frosty

All of the regs. at my work (about 50 some) trun clockwise to increase. however some gas controls I have at home turn counter clockwise to increase, key word is controls, these do not regulate pressure, they do adjust volume. This may or may not change the pressure. That depends on many factors, orfice size and supply pressure to name a couple. If turning the knob with the flame lit doesn't change the flame the regulator may be damaged. On most regulators completly removing the knob should turn the gas completly off. On my favorite forge the set up is this, regulator at the tank, ball valve to turn forge on and off in between, needle valve to adjust the flame at inlet to burner. this setup allows me to turn the forge on and off without changing the the setting.

You have recieved alot of good advise, but by listening to your last post, my only input would be that it sounds like you may have a stuck ball valve or perhaps a blockage somewhere in the fuel line. Both warrent checking out very carefully, perhaps even having the valves checked out, or, to narrow down the possibilities even faster maybe borrowing another valve or regulator that is known to be workig properly. if that doesent turn up a problem I would definatly take in the bottle itself and have someone certified check out the valve on the bottle, Just my two cents, Wes

If you don't understand something, then no question is dumb. It is better to question first and act later or you could end up with an new address in 17 differnt zip codes.

Have the regulator checked out there may be something blocking it or causing it to stick. Propane is very cold and a bit of moisture in the regulator will freeze into ice. Often a piece of teflon tape used on the threads will become dislodged and clog a line or an valve.

If you can get if in a well vented area, or out side you can turn the valve and listen for a decrease or increase sound of gas pressure , it is safer to light it outside till you know for sure about the reg. if you turn it counter clockwise the sound of gas should almost compleatly stop. like wise turn clockwise the sound will increase and the knob should get tighter. hope this helps, good luck

When I first got my regulator it was turned very far in the anti-clockwise direction and so it could turn a little and no appreciable change would happen.. eventually just figured out turning it further clockwise fixed the problem.. so if its new might wanna try that otherwise there's definatly a block somewhere.

After talking to the forge maker I found out that , as I supposed, I was using the inline ball valve incorrectly. It should be used as an on-off switch not a modulator although he said once the forge is hot small adjusments can be made with it. The regulator couldn't supply enough gas regardless of the pressure because I, in being especially cautious, had the ball valve barely cracked open. The result was the regulator didn't appear to have any majotr effect on the fire.

And, yes, the regulator increases pressure as the handle is screwed in with clockwise rotation. Maybe the Gulf Stream makes it work backward from the UK. :-) BTW, the Fisher website, which I'd already searched, doesn't have an answer to the original question that I could find.

He also assured me that, baring a leak, even at max rated pressure output of 35 psi there's no danger, just wasted heat out the front of the forge. Why didn't I call him to start with? Just didn't think of it.

Thanks to everyone (although the Darwin award winner comment may have been a little over the top the builder got a kick out of it. :-) )