I Forge Iron

Mig wire w/o gas?

Thanks Thomas, I knew there was a good reason for it but not having had proper welding training / background I didn't know what it was. I've suspected that the flux core wire was less than good but I haven't invested in a bottle for shielding gas yet. One more thing to the list of what I want / need!

It's not something to do. Lots of spatter, holes, etc. but will "stick" things together in a pinch.

I wouldn't trust the welds if you want to call them that with anything important. I'd say emergency or desperation only.

Frosty

The "holes" I refered to are called porosity, bad nasty stuff in a weld. Inspectors don't like it either.;) Instead of explaining it to you, let me get you to try this... Take 2 pieces of metal, say 1/8"-1/4" flat, make a "T" and try welding (just run an inch or so of weld) with your mig using the 'hard wire', (solid wire.) Now, let cool so you can handle, bend the piece to break it into 2 pieces again. Examine the weld metal and you will see that there is actually very little holding the pieces together. IF, and that's a BIG IF, you do decide to weld hard wire without shielding gas please DO NOT do it on something that will need to hold any weight &/or pressure, it WILL break.

Larry, you can get a small bottle of 75/25 for little $$ at your supply store, should be less than $100 p/yr lease, maybe $8 per month. I use the '125#' bottle on my MillerMatic 250, and my last bottle was around $23, IRRC. I also use .035 hard wire and .045 dual shield wire. You will be surprised at how much difference it will make! and you will not be without it again. Good luck!

Edited by Thomas Dean

I get my Gas at Tractor Supply, a little more costly then a welding supplier, but they are open 7 days a week. They have direct exchange bottles in various sizes, I have a number 3 because it is easier to haul. It lasts me around a year with the welding I do.
It cost me around 200 to get the bottle and get started, don't remember how much fills are, think around 30 bucks.

Not to be contrary but there is a use for no gas welding. To make pipe look like tree bark. The worse you can weld the better it looks. I run it as hot as it'll go and then run beads erracticly the length of the pipe.

I alos have done the same knocking the flux off of rods (water soaked or scrap) and have just cut lengths of 3/16 HR to do the same effect. My little tombstone don't like 3/16 keeps shutting down ;)

• 1 month later...

Try using Lincoln NR-211, it's flux core so no gas required. You can get at Tracor Supply, Home Depot, etc. Just follow the manufactor wire speed and voltage settings. Drag the gun at 60 degrees or so and let the wire stick out of the tip about a 1/2". Flux should peel off and the bead will be real smooth.

FYI, there is a difference between Flux core and innershield wire. They both have a "flux" on the inside.

Flux core is meant to be used with a shielding gas.

Innershield wire does not use a gas cylinder and creates it own shielding gasses similar to how stick welding flux does.

For any folks who are unaware, pure CO2 can be used for mig, giving exellent penetration, and somewhat more spatter than Argon-CO2 mixes. It does not work as well on very thin metal due to the extra penetration, however, it can be done, and CO2 is MUCH cheaper. I buy CO2 tanks at scrap yards which were used for soda dispencers, and all the local welding suppliers treat them as owner tanks.