I Forge Iron

Blower lubrication

Hammered

I just wanted to throw a question into the wind as it were.
I just bought myself an old hand crank blower that's in very good condition. I believe that it's stamped "buffalo forge co." This thing puts out an unbelievable amount of air with only very little cranking (I've just made the change from and old hairdryer and the difference is incredible!). Here's the question......The blower has a lubrication port at the top. I'm just wondering what the best lubricant (in our wonderful Canadian climate) would be. Unfortunately my shop area is not heated, so until I get the forge fired up it's quite cold this time of year. I remember tripping across a post at some point mentioning using ATF as a blower lubricant, but I'll be darned if I can find it again. I think I've also come across a different thread where someone had mentioned 90 weight gear oil. I don't want to do any unintentional internal damage by tipping in the wrong stuff. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I use 30w motor oil non-detergent.In my 400 blower it's never given me any trouble when it's as low as 20 F out,but I'm sure it get's a little colder there :) .But I would think anything that you use would need some viscosity to get up to the top gears. I do agree that 90w is way to much.

I cleaned all the grease out of mine, and coated them with spray lithium grease. You are better off to give them a light coat, and clean and recoat them more often than have buildup of hardened grease to clean up later, in my opinion. WD-40 is for water displacement, and I don't use it as a lube for anything anymore, it just doesn't stay put.

I cleaned all the grease out of mine, and coated them with spray lithium grease. You are better off to give them a light coat, and clean and recoat them more often than have buildup of hardened grease to clean up later, in my opinion. WD-40 is for water displacement, and I don't use it as a lube for anything anymore, it just doesn't stay put.

I have to agree about wd-40 it isnt meant for a lubrication... ive seen guns that used it and its hardened up made a big mess ... took scrapeing out with a screwdriver and wire brush carb cleaner wouldnt loosen it up much !

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning,

It is better to have any lubricant inside the blower. There are no bearings, only bushings. The gears are straight cut and they will act as a pump when you turn the handle. There are no seals so if a bushing is worn there will be a trace of oil dripping, Normal. We normally use any kind of engine oil. Atf is very thin and may leak more, but it provides sufficient lubrication. 80w90 gear oil is probably more expensive.

Chrysler has been using ATF in their standard transmissions for years.

The blower will be happy it gets anything other than water!!

Neil

I have both a Cannady Otto and a Buffalo sheet metal rivet forge blower. Both lubricated with ATF.
I spent quite a few years specifing oils for a large machine shop. I did a little study and offer the following; ATF has the lowest pour point of any easy to obtain oil. It has an extremely good anti-wear package, designed for gears and plain sliding bearings. It is not a detergent oil, as it is not designed to work in an engine.
For my Cannady Otto's. both quite sludged, I filled with kerosene, waited and drained. Then refilled with kerosene, and turned gently for about 5 minutes, drained. Refilled with engine oil, turned for about 5 minutes and drained. Filled with ATF. I drain and replace yearly. Has worked well since 2002.

The little Buffalo was packed with hard grease and gunk. Soaked in kerosene overnight, used a soft brass brush to clean. I took the small oil drip port off the top and added an 1/8" pipe fitting. Since this litte blower is on my demo rig, and a little hard to reach, I plumbed a small Gitts brand drip oiler to it. The oiler valve is easy to reach and refill. I have it set to drip about a drop every 3 minutes. I do have a catch pan under. This is now one of the smoothest little Buffalo around. These little Gitts oilers are pretty cheap and if I have another similar one to do I will repeat.

I'm brand new to this. I've built a forge using a 24" tub, adobe, and a 1" pipe with 14 - 1/4" holes in it for forced air. I've powered air with a hair dryer, and use charcoal for fuel. I can get a railroad spike hot enought to loose magnetism and glow a light red. To me, it doesn't seem quite hot enough to be very maleable under my hammer. Q: Do I need more forced air to get the forge hotter? That's my best guess. Any suggestions?