I Forge Iron

Trying to get into a scrap yard...

WannabeSmith

This seems like a dumb question but supposedly there is no such thing so here it goes. I did manage to find two local scrap yards and I told them I would contact them when I came up with what I wanted, and informed them I was just clarifying they sold to the public. Does anyone have any special lines they use on scrap yard owners to get them to let them "wander" a bit. I know with insurance and such people aren't to keen on letting people walk around their yards, so if anyone has any wisdom to pass on I will love it! ;)

I somehow get the feeling that answering "I'm looking steel" isn't going to work. I see opportunities in a lot of metal, but I need to see it first =P

P.S. I dislike insurance companies.... buncha money snatchers :P

Even a free flying thread joking about the matter might cheer me up =D Thanks guys!

a round here a lot of scrap yards are car scrap yards they take all metal from cars washers so onand so forth the yards here have been charging a dollar for insurance or some thing like that to enter i would check with auto and truck repair shops offer them a few bucks for the old scrap most around here give it to some one that picks it up from them a box of doughnuts or coffie can go a long way when trying to get your foot in the door

Thanks guys!

Yeah I plan on going around to garages and the sort doing just that orgtwister and cal-k. Just waiting till I have a few things made. Mainly I was hoping to find a hearth surface so that was the point of the scrapyard, not that I can't find it elsewhere somehow. I'm jealous Irish heh.

I will also do that Thomas, sounds like a good idea.

I have no problem being direct with folks about what I would want in their yard (if there was one locally), but the concept of doughnuts, etc to help ease the foot in is baffling to me. Not from a moral standpoint, just: What, do you walk up with a hot dozen and say howdy? It would strike me as odd, if I were an employee and it came out of left field.

You scroungers know, so fess up! I need pointers :)

Theres a steel yard out here that has a very limited scrap area..
What ended up working for me was posting on craigslist that I was looking for old car springs and ended up getting a reply.
Now I get all sorts of cool stuff from the same guy.
And now that the demand of scrap has dropped over 50% in the last month or so alot of people are holding the scrap they were going to bring in till the prices come back up. So you can get some good deals there.

At least that has worked for me.
Truck and car spring especialy are easy to get.

Well basically you want a "friend" relationship with the scrap yard folks not a business relationship. You want them to see an interesting bit of steel and think "hey that's something that Whatshisname might be interested in; I'll just set it aside till the next time he comes and not dump it in the train car before it can even rust!"

If you can talk with them you can sometimes get special privilages; one yard would let me scrounge during lunch when all the machinery was off and so "safer". Showing them what you are doing with the scrap, give them trinkets, bring in doughnuts, etc. Treat them like they are doing you a big favour---cause they *are*! (and they don't set the prices...)

Try hitting up a 4/w drive shop for new or used take off springs, old abused/worn out axles, bumpers, what ever. Most of the time if you talk to a mechanic you can walk away with some good stuff.
You may have to have a $20 in your hand to off set what they would get from the metal scrap guy. (most of the time its kept by the Mech for beer or lunch)

I have no problem being direct with folks about what I would want in their yard (if there was one locally), but the concept of doughnuts, etc to help ease the foot in is baffling to me. Not from a moral standpoint, just: What, do you walk up with a hot dozen and say howdy? It would strike me as odd, if I were an employee and it came out of left field.

Basically yes.

Show up 10-15 mins before work starts with a couple dozen donuts. Tell the guys you're there to bribe them because you smith and don't need or particularly want new steel. show them a little of what you do, maybe make a RR spike letter opener (about as close to a knife as they're good for) for the foreman/owner/secretary, though the sec will probably prefer a rose.

I then spend a little time chatting to let them know I'm not going to be a liability in the yard, offer to pay a reasonable price, etc.

Unfortunately I now live too far from the recycler's and can't keep on buddy terms with the guys and the yard went single buyer contract a few years ago. No more scrounging for Frosty. . . :(

What I was really looking for just as they closed their gates to me was RR axles for a power hammer anvil. The RR is contracted to the recyclers so it's the same story there, also the same distance so schmoozing them is impractical too.

Of course there's a chance the single buyer contracts may go away now so there is hope.

Frosty

Here in North Jersey I went to 4 or 5 scrap places before I found one that would let me even look.Almost all seemed PO'd and mentioned insurance reasons then chased me off.
But I found one good one!
Don't give up you'll find one and when you do, make sure to return with some hand made stuff to say thanks!
Tim

Edited by cheftjcook
thought faster than I type

I am a regular customer of my favorite scrap yard and I am able to wander around anywhere I choose. I started by talking to the foreman and telling him what I was looking for and he would point to where I might find something and I haven't had a problem. It probably doesn't hurt that I made him a knife before last deer season.

My landlord works for richmand steel (a scrap yard) here in B.C. (thats in Canada). He tells me that (if your straight) just go to the office, tell them what you want and you want to talk to a supervisor... then tell him what your doing... 9 times out of 10 you can work something out. I never have probs 'cause .. well, My landlord works at a scrapyard but in all truth... ASK AND YOU WILL RECIEVE. The trick is this... dont bull $hitt the guys and you will be suprised what happens.

just: What, do you walk up with a hot dozen and say howdy? It would strike me as odd, if I were an employee and it came out of left field.

I run an automotive parts department. You'd be really surprised how far coffee and doughnuts go when you're looking for favours to be done and deals to be given.
(One thing that works in my favour is the fact that I know most of the boys at the local wrecking yards on a first name basis.....and coffee STILL helps.)

Just my two cents. Edited by Hammered
an afterthought