I Forge Iron

Stainless Steel as an Anvil Surface?

Is there such a thing as a Stainless-Steel Anvil or could a thick piece of stainless be used as an anvil?

I know that the cost-of-material for stainless would make it cost-prohibitive in most instances, but I was just curious if they exist, or if the material itself could serve as a suitable forge surface, if say, you happened upon a thick piece of SS scrap?

Lets just say, use the best that you can afford. If what you have is a chunk of iron, stainless or not, then use what you have.

The smith who taught my first exposure to blacksmithing in his shop had a thick piece of armor plate that he used as a surface to flatten stuff that were longer than his anvil. It can be handy to have a long piece of iron for flattening long stuff.

I still have a small stainless steel block that my dad used as a ASO when he was a mechanic for straightening and flattening items on. Still in use as its very convenient and handy for certain jobs, Dad passed away some years ago, but he's still there with me in the forge, everytime I pick up some old tools he had, and there are plenty of them.

My first "anvil" was a 316 SS drive shaft from the Amoco plant here in town. My dad got it for some reason and it sat under his house for 7 or 8 years before I caught him hauling it to the scrap yard. Its about 5-1/4" in diameter and about 4 feet tall. Completely solid. I figured its weight mathematically, and it came out around 232 lbs. The top that I hammered on is pretty dinged and dented. I later got a HF 110 lb cast steel Russian anvil, and it seems to me that its face is harder than the chunk of 316. I'm not sure what to do with it now, other than sell it for scrap and use that cash to buy a real anvil. Any suggestions as to what to do with it?
Mickey

you should have sold it about 6 months ago when was high then it may have brought a few hundred i just scraped a commercial dish washer striped it to just 304 stainless it weighed 250 i got 25 bucks i would hold onto it and either make some thing out of it or if you know any machine shops that turn stainless you could tell them what you have and they may need it some day and could bring you more for it

Thanks for the replies. I always thought of Stainless Steel as being (all things considered) typically Harder material, certainly than mild-steel.

Granted, there are various grades of SS, and various conditions of heat-treatment. Just wondered where it roughly fits in for dent-resistance, etc.

sort of an odd measurement but armour makers usually say you can go 1 to 2 guage s thinner if you use stainless instead of mild steel and get the same dent resistance. They also charge 2x as much due to the difficulty of working it and the increased cost.

I tend to think of 300 grades as "gooey"; but 400 grades as being harder.

Since you would be putting on a bottom die for a power or treadle hammer the softness is not as much as an issue---I mean commercial powerhammers used cast iron with a tool steel die!

As stated above SS can be many grades, it can be hard to cut with a saw but easily dented as in a crosion resistant grade, it can be easy to sharpen, hold a good edge (as in a scapel) It can be heat resisting but not be able to be tempered. It all depends on the grade you are preparing to use. For example to anneal austenetic SS you heat it to about 900-1000 deg cent and quench vigourously in water. If you were to do that with a martensetic grade that would nearly cause it to turn its self inside out, there are horses for courses, yes you could use SS for an anvil but for a good anvil it needs to be the right grade.
Cheers
Phil

There are many grades of SS, austenitic, ferritic, martensitic, duplex, precipitation hardening to name a few basic grades. Generally, except for the martensitic grades, stainless steel is very low carbon, in the .03-.08% range. When you try to cut austenitic, or 300 series, the abrasion of the saw will cause the steel to transform to martensite. It is not real hard but being untempered, it is hard enough to wear you out. Most SS is just gummy because there is no pearlite or inclusions to cause the chips to break off. This makes it hard to saw or drill because the chips stay around the cutting edge and hold in heat. Generally, there is no reason to use SS for an anvil. Cast medium to high carbon steel works fine.