I Forge Iron

101 RR spike uses.

I marry them up with old horseshoes to make wall hangers for people who like the "rustic" look (see photo). That's more welding than forging really, but a great use for discarded material.

I often use them for shanks when I make my own hardie tools.

I made a knife and I'm planning to do some forks & spoons. The second picture is one of examples I found online. Unfortunately, none of this is my work, but it serves as great inspiration. Notice the miniature post-vise in the upper right hand corner. Awesome!

If you draw them out and put a "J" bend in them, the head makes a serviceable coat hook with no sharp edges. Before you bend, you can get all kinds of artistic with the drawn-out end. Make divots with a ball peen hammer and punch the centers out for mounting holes.

11025.attach

11026.attach

Edited by Junksmith
Clarification

Woody,
The thing is that they are Federal Property! No scrap yards in my area will buy ANY railroad steel, period. I do however aligin my feelings with yours...get some good steel...much better in all ways.
Woodreaux

I don't think they are federal property but it is a felony to tamper with ANY railroad. All the Railroads are privately owned and will sell their metals for scrap, at least out here on the west coast. I purchased a whole keg of spike from the local scrap yard last year. Also if you really want to be "legal" you can buy them from Mcmaster Carr McMaster-Carr