I Forge Iron

Question about controlling spatter

I have a question for some of you experienced welders out there.  I was told that hairspray does a good job at keeping MIG splatter from sticking in the nozzle or to stock.  Obviously you'd have to wait for it to dry, but I was curious if anyone else had ever heard this or if I need to get the other leg pulled to even them out.

I don't know about hairspray but if you used the water based stuff you wouldn't have to let it dry, it might work let us know please. Pam cooking spray works pretty well so did pledge spray furniture polish but Pledge is all silicone anymore so I don't know.

Frosty The Lucky.

As I believe it, it is just something as a coating to disrupt the adhesion of weld spatter from sticking to a metal surface. I haven't tried other stuff, I just buy the antispatter spray. I have used the nozzle tip jell as well. With both I notice a bit of a difference in spatter on things and or buildup in the nozzle.  I'm not diehard on anything. If I want a clean job i do try to use both tho. 

Anti-spatter spray is definitely worth the investment, especially since it's not particularly expensive. Hairspray may be a lot cheaper, but any savings advantage is immediately lost in extra time spent on cleanup. 

I’ve used the Jells, nozzle spray and Pam for the last 45 yrs and can’t tell the difference between them 

if I have a project I don’t want bb’s stuck to I use nozzle spray because it doesn’t leave an oily mess on the project 

20 hours ago, Frosty said:

Pledge is all silicone anymore so I don't know.

Silicone can really interfere with painted finishes, as can some oils. If you use anti-spatter spray, check the label for what it says about cleanup and painting.

Here is one brand I use. (Depends where I am when I need some. Most all act the same. 

20240312_221714.thumb.jpg.bc50ff86b5d7b6fc6af55f1e78e30021.jpg

20240312_221741.thumb.jpg.e1f7a14776dee17b07ba54d8289000fe.jpg

No matter what you are painting it should be degreased, dried, maybe scuffed and warmed/maintained at/to the recommended usage temp. 

20240312_221714.jpg

Silicones are BAD for anything you might be painting. If a silicone was used on a part you want to paint or clear you should degrease, dry heat and repeat ten times, spin counterclockwise in a pentagram circle 3times then pray to your God or Gods of choice and then hope for the best. Smudge stick might even help.   

Sorry bout the big photo, it supposedly didnt upload then I cant edit to delete it. 

If you know how to set your machine properly for the mig process you are using it actualy helps the anti-spatter do it's job.  Somecases you don't even need it.  But non stick spray won't help much if you have giant sputter ball globs flying all over due to incorrect heat or wirespeed.  Same with stick welding.

It's kind of the same principle with flux core welding and slag covering, set right, it just peels off without having to wear your arm out on a chipping hammer.

I think, but am not sure, at one place I worked at we used a water based anti-splatter spray, mixed in huge proportions.  

Thanks for all the replies.  I have some of the gel stuff, but it can get a little messy sometimes (or I can get messy with it).   A dry spray coating seems like a better option to me.  I do far more stick welding than MIG, so I don't have much experience in that area.