I Forge Iron

My Wife Was Right......AGAIN.

My wife's a potter. We built her a 16 x 20 studio with a 16x10 patio equipped with a 12 cubic foot gas kiln. I get a single car bay in the garage (unheated & unair-conditioned) that I share with 10 storage shelves (all full) , 12 Rubbermaid containers full of pottery, compound mitre saw, table saw, 2 hand carts, 8 folding bookcases, and a partridge in a pear tree. My new/old leg vise is still in the bed of my pickup. 35 years with Uncle Sam taught me life's a xxxxx but the IRS is worse!

I was in the shop last night taking apart air line fittings. I'd had enough of needing a fitting only to find its on some arrangement I made up some time back so I was breaking everything down and she was watching and telling me about her terrible day. She finally claimed I was making her dizzy from all the turning and wanted to know what was doing. When I told her I was organizing and shes a neat freak..well..my night got a little better, wink.

It's funny how everyone has a "dirty" shop, but is organized and when you clean it, you can't find anything. When I clean my shop I find production or efficiency increses, where as when I have a dirty shop, I have to dig to get items when I need them, because they are buried under tools.

It's funny how everyone has a "dirty" shop, but is organized and when you clean it, you can't find anything. When I clean my shop I find production or efficiency increses, where as when I have a dirty shop, I have to dig to get items when I need them, because they are buried under tools.

sounds like you have too much in your work area. what i do is i keep the tools that are most used close by, and less used farther and farther away. the stuff i very rarely use goes in a pile in the corner or in drawers, so i know if i dont use it often, im gonna have to dig for it. if i do use it often, it should be close by.