I Forge Iron

No way.

I bought one of those hammers once. It's ok. The forming and finish are rough and nothing like what you get on Hofi or Clark's hammers but if you want to invest the time to grind and finish then its a decent hammer.

I have both Hofi, and Tom Clark Hofi style hammers. IMO the Clark hammers are by far the nicest.

Here is another source for a small Hofi style hammer

Jackpine Forging Hammer 1-3/4 lb. - Blacksmith's Journal

I know the seller personally and his integrity is NOT in question. John is a very fair and reputable dealer. Those hammers are bought from an over seas distributor. They are extremely soft. I have one and was not happy with it.

I think we all need to keep in mind that sometimes the price of something will automatically tell us the quality of it. This hammer is great for a beginner, or someone who is not quite sure if this style is for them BEFORE they spend the big bucks on a Hofi or Tom Clark.

These types of hammers are sold by just about every blacksmith tool dealer out there. So it is not just him...

Peyton

Hofi style hammers are very common and manufactured by a lot of companies, they are not ripping of any thing, Hofi has become a standard for that style of hammer just like a French, German, Czech, Swedish, etc., it simply describes the style/type of hammer. However if you want a real Hofi hammer then there is really only one place to get one and that is from the man himself.

welder19

Hofi style hammers are very common and manufactured by a lot of companies, they are not ripping of any thing, Hofi has become a standard for that style of hammer just like a French, German, Czech, Swedish, etc., it simply describes the style/type of hammer. However if you want a real Hofi hammer then there is really only one place to get one and that is from the man himself.

welder19

With respect I disagree; it's the man's name. That's why a lot of places say 'French pattern' hammer or a 'Swedish style' hammer; it avoids the ambiguity associated with saying 'French hammer'. That's like, say, selling a CD of covers of Beatles songs as a Beatles CD.

With all deference to the man making my huge 4 pound hammer, I quietly suggest that really, Mr. Hofi's name should not be used to market a hammer of similar shape, even if there is any possibility that Mr. Hofi did not develop it from scratch( having read with an open mind all I could find about the Hofi Hammer, there are design elements to which he can legitimately lay claim). Whew-- I don't think he has become as generic as "coke" , or "kleenex". If you roll up to an eatery and ask for a coke, you will get whatever brown cola they sell. No lawsuits- for Coke it is good news-bad news.
I doubt that the seller is familiar with the ins and outs of trademarking so I sure would not feel right labeling him as unethical. However, this is a case where Mr. H. can complain.
I went to the three BP's by H. and saw that his glue refers to "flex". SO, is there a shock cushioning connection? With both rotator cuffs on the ragged edge, I want that shock control. I have actually been practicing Mr. Hofi's grip and stroke on a chunk of non-critical hardened steel and it sure makes a difference in how much of a stinger I get. So, if the joint is conventional, then I may beg Tom Clark to see what he can do to rehandle the Hofi head.mt

Per:
[1] Stim, R. "Intellectual Property. Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights" West Legal Studies.
[2] Black's Law Dictionary 5th ed., (West Publishing, 1979).

A personal name can be used as a trademark if the name can be proved to contain "secondary meaning" which translates into 5 years of continued and exclusive use of a mark. lack's Law Dictionary (Fifth Edition) defines the doctrine of secondary meaning for the purpose of trademark law as "[A] ... party through advertising or massive exposure ... [establishing] its trademark in the minds of consumers as an indication of origin from one particular source."