I Forge Iron

what's a farrier's file good for?

i mean, besides their intended use? there's a farm & feed store in the area that sells farriers' supplies and being a tool junkie, i keep ogling the farrier files, wanting to buy one, but not sure what it'd be good for, since i'm not a farrier. help me to justify one. :D what else are they good for?

makes good snakes...and other scaled type animals, serpants and amphibeans or anything that needs to have some texturing.....usually tuff steel tho work it real hot...meet up with a couple of farriers they will give em to ya.....once they get a little used evidently they dont cut very well so they become useless....work great to remove lotsa materiel when you use them like a file

Edited by fat pete

Yup I make Rasptle Snakes from them. Bent one around a drift and forge welded it into a hawk, used one to texture other steel---heated the other steel *HOT* and then put the rasp on it and hammered it. My favorite tool for dressing hammer handles when I'm rehandling hammers or other tools.

At the winter SWABA meeting Rob sells used rasps quite reasonably. I bought 18 of them last year...

Some rasps will make good knives, some of them are more case hardened and so do not make good knives. If I am working down an old "found" rasp and it's particularly hard under the hammer I will save it for knifemaking and use a different rasp for my project.

The one use for a farrier's file I haven't seen yet is keeping track of your farriers in alphabetical order. :o

Talk to farriers in your area, maybe contact the farrier's association and attend a meeting. Once the rasp gets dull it doesn't cut cleanly and cleanly shaping the hoof is what they're for. Farriers will either give them to you or sell them really cheaply.

Frosty

Don't buy any...find a farrier and ask him for some used ones. My farrier saves his used rasps and drops them off when he comes by. I've a whole pile of them now. I haven't used them for much, but they're free.

I don't think all rasps are equal....some are surface/case hardened and some are high carbon steel through out.

Steve

I agree farriers just toss them after so many horses ask a farrier I am sure he would be happy to give you some or sell them to you cheap. Also all of the rasps most professional farriers use are high carbon steel not case hardened. I know because I called all the makers and done heat treat tests and I use them daily as what they are intended and what they are not intended. A case hardened rasp fails very quickly and I as a farrier will not spend hard earned money on junk.