I Forge Iron

Big columbian bench vise

Rhettbarnhart

Ayup, that's how big it is, I have a 8" Wilton and it's a beast. Not a bad price either just run the jaws all the way out and make sure they're smooth and eyeball them for damage. Bench vise threads don't usually take "damage" but they do wear. 

I have a folding table like that and it's not as large as it looks. The legs telescope from coffee table to dinner table high, ours is 24" x 48."

Frosty The Lucky.

Vintagevises dot com is what I believe ShoreB is referring to. Nooooo, I didn't know that I did a web search and violA!

I have decided I like the site though, the first thing that showed when it downloaded was a Wilton vise very similar to mine. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty you got it.  I coudn't recall the rules for other sites so I didnt want to put too much of a url.  

If someone is ever in need of identifying an unknown vise, some dedicated soul created a searchable spreadsheet that can be found at the same site.  Over 3k vises.  

You can post the name of a commercial site, just not a link. The name is enough to find with a web search. Skimming through that site is one huge series of rabbit holes. I have it bookmarked just in case I find something good at a yard sale. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I will check that site out ShoreB,was wanting to know a bit of the history of columbian tools. Thanks for the info.

Cheers Frosty,I've been hoping to get back into smiting again, welding and fab work takes most of my time nowadays though. I was sad to see a few of the old regulars have moved on,always enjoyed input from T. Powers.

I attached some pics of the vise all clean and oiled,enjoy.

20231012_175603.jpg

20231012_175553.jpg

20231012_175544.jpg

20231012_175548.jpg

20231012_172216.jpg

20231012_172659.jpg

20231012_172708.jpg

20231012_182016.jpg

She's a beauty Rhett, I'm just happy I didn't have to remember in what order to put it back together. 

Glad you're carving a little time to spend at the anvil, I found it very therapeutic. I'd say it kept me from going postal a couple few times but I never got quite that mad at the clowns at work. Still it made it easier to spend 24/7 for sometimes several weeks at a stretch with the same guys. Smithing is good for the soul, glad you made it back.

It chokes me up when I think back on all the friends and acquaintances that have passed since I started meeting them online. It's very different to read a book by a deceased author than to hold conversations, ask questions and occasionally have heated disagreements with people you've come to know and think of as friends. Now passed. 

It's a real mixed blessing isn't it?

Frosty The Lucky.

There's something special about antique iron that you can't help but appreciate, there are new tools that do the job well but the old ones just speak to me a bit.

I'm not back at the forge yet,finally getting around to setting a shop up though so it will happen withing the next year. Creating something from raw materials is always good for the soul.

I agree with you,it's hard to see it but time marches on unfortunately,very sad to see them go.

On 10/16/2023 at 11:45 AM, Frosty said:

remember in what order to put it back together. 

I solved that problem by taking pictures with my phone as I take something apart. Without them I would be lost.:D

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus