I Forge Iron

Double ended tool ID?

I believe it is a tool for finishing coning the barrels muzzle on old muzzle loaders. A coned muzzle is when the rifling would be cut back with a special reamer then a tool like that would be inserted in the muzzle, turned back & forth with a course grinding compound, to taper the rifling and make loading easier and prevent patch tearing.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Here are some (mostly) better photos, showing the various stamps. The overall length is about 6”. One end is stamped “4”, and the other is stamped “8”; I’m guessing that’s the size in millimeters. The end marked “8” has some kind of material in the hollow. 

IMG_7440.thumb.jpeg.4409915380a123965a7079cb311d75c5.jpeg

IMG_7431.thumb.jpeg.ce1e5f9a63add25137e2ac26c24d04f8.jpeg

IMG_7432.thumb.jpeg.86ca5ae640a775875404c250fd5e2f1e.jpegIMG_7433.thumb.jpeg.3b10ef4b6d8739f25e0a304dec991ffe.jpeg

IMG_7434.thumb.jpeg.9efe54cb97dec88c17c66cd4a82bce21.jpeg

IMG_7436.thumb.jpeg.e1a70e2de1819e596a7f27d4e0d973f6.jpeg

IMG_7439.thumb.jpeg.d9177b617a8a64ada387afc6c5f3e31a.jpeg

IMG_7435.thumb.jpeg.2803110d52b68e7f51c90cfa15c3217c.jpeg

IMG_7437.thumb.jpeg.7f7b5946036ac45b5330ada9c0f32ef6.jpeg

It looks like the building was constructed in the 1850s as one of a number of residential apartment blocks. Oranienstraße became a commercial district in the 1880s (which I suspect is when Brucklacher took up residence), survived the twin destructions of WWII and postwar urban redevelopment, and is now once again a residential area with a lot of popular restaurants and bars. #43 currently houses the offices of a physiotherapist and a couple of attorneys and is about a mile and a quarter (just under 2km) from Checkpoint Charlie on Friedrichatraße. 

None of this helps identify the tool, of course, but it’s a fun rabbit hole.

I did a search and came up with this.   https://archive.org/details/GBrucklacher

Looks from the old catalog they made mostly wood & leather working tools. Didn't see anything like this tool.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Yes, that’s the catalog I linked above. I suspect that the “Liste Nr. 34” means that they had other catalogs (at least 33!) that were not “Sattler-Werkzeuge und Maschinen” (which I think means “Saddlemaker’s Tools and Machinery”).

Weird enough it makes me think of the old wooden honeycomb dipper for getting honey out of the jar to drizzel on toast or whatever. 

I have no idea truely. Maybe a deburring tool? Being mostly wood or leather connections... maybe for holding snaps to pein on? The slits could be to expand to clip onto a snap or something to hold it in place for the other half to pein it? 

Just grasping at straws. 

Good news! After a little Google research, I discovered that Brucklacher is still in business (although at a different address in Berlin), so I emailed them and asked my question directly. This is their reply:

Dear John,

Thanks for your email.

The tool from your pictures is a punch which you can use for working on leather.

Best regards/

Mit besten Grüßen

So there's our answer: a leather punch. I'm guessing that this is for very thin and/or soft leather, and I imagine that it would be twisted in or struck with a soft hammer that would not damage the edges of the back end.

On a side note, the firm is no longer at the Oranienstraße address, having moved first to a larger space on Mariannenplatz in 1978 and then to Reinickendorf (an outer district of Berlin) in 1993, when downtown rents skyrocketed after German reunification in 1989. The company no longer makes tools as such, but specializes in tool grinding of all sorts, from milling bits to planer blades to knife grinding. It's still family-owned, with fourth-generation owners Gustav and Renate Brucklacker supported by their son Ulrich, who passed his master's certificate in 2004.

The company was founded in 1860 by Gustav and Magdalene (Schultze) Brucklacher, a journeyman knifesmith from Balingen and the daughter of a Berlin master knifesmith respectively.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...