I Forge Iron

660 downdraft Buffalo forge with a # 200 blower.

Miami 13

Welcome aboard Miami, glad to have you. You're asking a random bunch of mostly blacksmiths from around the world a pretty specific question and I kind of think nobody has answered with a guess for two reasons primarily. First some pictures of a for sale item help a LOT. Secondly I think there's a pretty good chance very few folks online have a good idea. I sure don't.

Wish I could be more help but . . . <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Like I and Frosty said in your other post, with out knowing where in the world you are located, it's just a wild guess as to it's value. If you are in my area I would say around $250-$300 U.S.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Two key factors. 1st and already mentioned is location. 2nd is condition. I’m in south central Indiana and got my complete buffalo forge at a steel of $100. In my area you could possibly get $300~500 locally if it’s in good working order and the right people were aware of it. Keeping in mind that most blacksmith’s are frugal collectors!

Keep it fun,

David

To add on the previous comment about condition, usability is probably the most important element of pricing here. There isn't much of a collector's market for forges, so a prospective purchaser is much more likely to be wanting to use it than to add it to their personal museum. Anything that the buyer will have to spend money on to make it useable -- missing pieces, necessary repairs, etc -- will probably drive down the price.

The forge is located in upstate NY Thank you for all of the  input. As you all know I am new to this. My family has been in this area for 125 years. This forge has not left the summit. My family used this for grilling(before propane lol) This was in the 60's and 70's.I would work the blower , but not toooo much cuz it would float ashes on to the grilled items. This has been exposed to the elements  after leaving the original black smith shop across the street.There are several cracked/broken pieces cuz a tree limb fell on it several years back. I have forwarded some pics. All this being said I have done my research and this has been labeled RARE.If you see any for sale please share. I have touched based with an expert in MN and he says"very rare worth 3500-4000 operating. He also told me a 6600 just sold for $3000. I  I know the 660 is rare cuz most of them have been scrap .I respect this site so far and I am just looking at my options. Do I sell as is for whatever, do I use or sell it as lawn art or do I pay someone to refurbish???? Ladies and gentlemen I do not collect, I do not use, I do not repair. I obviously am looking for  an honest suggestion. I know MN man maybe blowing smoke which is fine. In addition #200 blower is not operating right( perhaps seized)I realize  i can get one for around $200. So my gut tells me no one came come up with an accurate value cuz there is just nothing to compare it to. I am thinking of joining worthpoint cuz one sold on ebay (just base) and obviously the selling price was not displayed. So I am here for one reason only show me one for sale around this world of ours. Thanks for your time and I honestly respect your opinion.

IMG_20230824_152101.jpg

IMG_20230712_155709 (2).jpg

IMG_20230713_085510.jpg

IMG_20230824_132451.jpg

IMG_20230824_133459.jpg

IMG_20230824_151528.jpg

IMG_20230824_133858.jpg

IMG_20230824_133926.jpg

My best bet is to fix the cosmetics and loan to a museum . They will pay me to loan it to them or purchase at a reasonable price. I have contacted some and they agree it is VERY RARE. The blower does not have to operate while on  display Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

57 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

What would you think is a fair price for a used forge with broken parts.. 

Again, I'm NOT the MN person who was offering thoughts on the value. The prices mentioned seemed stratospheric to me. But to answer your question, 200-300 would be a lot for me to pay for the forge in its current condition.

--Larry

I buy lots of forges and blowers and other odds and ends literally by the truck loads… some common some “rare” this stuff is only worth what someone is willing to pay, I’ve bought various complete working models of Buffalo forges in pristine museum quality shape and only given $500 bucks… 

if someone has actually offered you something in the thousands and they are an aggressive buyer with funds to match their mouth then I highly recommend you sell immediately, 

i donate and loan various antiques to a local museum here and am not compensated for it I just do it to help a non profit, if there is a museum nearby you that will pay to rent it and it’s a fair amount then I’d say that’s a good option too, 

take care to read the loan contract carefully to make sure you retain rights to anything that you want back eventually,

here in eastern Oklahoma that rig would bring $200-$300 cash in a private sale, and up to $600 at public auction, but there’s a lot more money in NY so who knows you might cash in on it there

Also about the "rarity" of the Buffalo 660, there are at least 10 threads about them just here on ifi. If they were really that rare, I would expect to see less posted about them. Seems like your NM "expert" does not know what he is talking about.

BTW: we won't remember your location once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to add it in your profile.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Thank You for all the responses, opinions and expert advice.Please lead me to all the threads on the #660. I do have a life long connection to the Saratoga flat track ( currently racing) Happy Travers Day. Perhaps  one of the owners would be very interested as they spend crazy $$. It appears(with my brief knowledge) The mid-west has an abundance of parts etc Therefore your assessments are somewhat frugal. In the northeast that is not the case!! This is rare in these neck of the woods. I am a country boy not a city folk. Another idea( which some would pay is to drill holes in the base and plant flowers in it. The blower would be fine and the minor cosmetics( so it looks good) could be mended.Again I am here to learn. All this being said please post one that is for sale and has  recently sold. Thank You. I do have connections with the national racing Mus in Saratoga.( a perfect fit) My cousin runs it.

The easiest way to find anything on the forum is to go to the search engine of your choice and type the following into the search bar: "site:iforgeiron.com" and whatever search terms you want (in this case, probably "Buffalo 660" and "downdraft").

There is a search feature in the forum software (it's in the upper right corner of the page), but it's given inconsistent results over the years.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions. I have done my own research before posting on the site Thank You. Obviously I came up empty handed. I may have. misspoken or some of your have the wrong perception. The elevated figures I did get was on completion of the restoration not as is.I had already looked through the threads here and the RARE continues to pop up from members. The one I did see is a 6600 as he mistakenly thought is was  a 660. THe label on the side of the my forge is 660 so I know the hood has never been changed to make it appear to be a 660. So I apologize if members think I am here for research. This 660 is currently for sale for $750. Other suggestions was ebay sold, been there done that. The last place is worthpoint. Speaking of worth the reason I am here is to see if members would think it would be worth restoring and selling( paying others to do the work needed).Orrr just sell as is. That is not real research but requesting professional advice. Thanks again