I Forge Iron

660 downdraft Buffalo forge with a # 200 blower.

Miami 13

So what usually happens is this. 

The person who owns it thinks it's worth a million dollars and rare..  

It's just a forge..   The stuff is old and hasn't been made in 100+ years..    It's all rare until you find one..  Some things are much more scarce than others..  

I have a few items I've only seen in catalogs yet I use them all the time. 

Anyhow, what happens is a tree falls on it or the barn falls in,  Or water and snow freeze in it and completely ruin it either to sell or to use. 

Value is all based on what someone is willing to pay as it sits..  Not what it could be.   If anything you will lower the value by doing a bad fix.. 

I made a very fair offer at 400.00 for the level of damage it has..   Very fair since the blower does not work either. If the blower doesn't work now.. Give it another couple of years.. The gear case and the bottom of the blower will get water in them and freeze.. 

Then what once was a great piece of historical equipment will be scrap iron.. 

Seen it hundreds of times..  

You're still chasing after the carrot trying to convince someone it's worth more..  

Not only that.. Your missing parts..  The shutters are missing and is the deflection plate.

Thanks I do realize what is missing Thanks!! I have seen it toooo many times people will rip the item down until it becomes there own and than it becomes a gem. Please show me one with all the original pats for sale or in use. O f course the shutters are gone as it is first to go when left outside. show me one that has original shutters please. Show me one that has all original parts working or not. Thanks People cannot place a value when restored why cuz the are none to compare!!

On 8/28/2023 at 12:18 PM, jlpservicesinc said:

The person who owns it thinks it's worth a million dollars and rare..  

oh come on Jennifer! 
you mean all my rusty beat up junk ain’t worth a fortune? Well there goes my retirement plan…:wacko:

On 8/28/2023 at 5:27 PM, Miami 13 said:

Thanks I do realize what is missing Thanks!! I have seen it toooo many times people will rip the item down until it becomes there own

I don’t really have a dog in this fight one way or the other

I as i said before I find/buy/sale and trade all kinds of antique rusty stuff, sometimes I get it back up an running an use it sometimes I just save it from a bad situation and pass it on to someone who needs it and will care for it and restore it themselves, I don’t do this for money as I already have a job, it’s more of a fun hobby and adventure finding stuff that hasn’t moved from a barn in a hundred years, 

As Jennifer said I too have stuff I’ve only ever seen once or twice across the great expanse of the internet and yes I’d agree with you and call it rare in that instance, 

but I also agree with her point that this old stuff is still just tools that were designed and built for a specific purpose, and as far as the forge is concerned there’s literally hundreds of thousands forges out in the wild to found some common finds some are not so common, but they all do the same exact thing heat metal, 

On a different note sometimes have to buy 2 or three of the same broken down thing just to find enough parts to put a single complete one back together as it was built, it’s fun but not always necessary, if you’re planning on hunting down pieces for your forge and bringing it back up to factory original then yes you will probably have something there worth a chunk to a collector who doesn’t actually plan to use it, 

this forum on the other hand is made up of a huge collection of folks with all kinds of backgrounds, some run museumsor are members of historical societies, some are professional blacksmiths, some are commercial factory owners like anvil and forge makers,

and others like me…. have absolutely no clue what goin on and wander around aimlessly! Lol

but this forum is predominantly made up of people who desire to use these tools, so they won’t put a high value on a tool that they can find elsewhere cheaper that does the same thing,

by no means am i discounting or trying to discourage you from restoring your forge and selling it for whatever you feel is fair! I hope you are successful a make some good money after the restoration and I hope you have fun while doing it! 

im just saying that most folks on here won’t  necessarily price it the same as people who are into that kinda thing, 

your idea of renting it out to a museum is I nice idea because you can retain ownership and you still get paid! It’s a win win in my opinion! 

okay sorry to everyone I’ll finish my book here! You may all return to your regularly scheduled programming or shenanigans whichever you prefer!

Twistedwillow, You have some pretty nice stuff..  I've seen your stash of items and if you were closer I'd be over every other week to pilfer and  riffle thru your goodness.. 

You have some pretty amazing items.. 

I have no money in the pot either..  

Just feel sorry for the old equipment..  The stories they could tell..  :) 

IFCW  me too..  

Now though I get plum tired and sit down..  LOL.. 

1 hour ago, Irondragon Forge ClayWorks said:

I'm in that category most of the time, except I bump into the walls a lot

Randy I do that too until Ash calls me an tells me to get my backside in the house for dinner! Then miraculously I can find my way pretty quickly! :lol:

Jennifer

5 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

You have some pretty amazing items

You’re gonna make me blush :wub:, I ain’t got nothing on you!
From what I’ve seen of your horde, Bout the only thing I got laying around here Thated look good in your shop is those beat up old grinders,

if I recall correctly, you’ve been looking around for one of those big ol Athol wetstone grinders, I bet you could fix this old one up I’ve got pretty slick an get it goin again! 
if your ever heading out to eastern Oklahoma make sure to bring a trailer so I can send it home with you!