I Forge Iron

Where to Keep Your Chuck Key

JHCC

That' a good spot until you're using the drill, then where do you keep it? 

If I'm using my hand drill I keep the key in my pocket If the drill press it goes in the drill index or the random drill bit pan if I don't make space in the drill index.

I made a holder by the power button on my lathe for the chuck key, forget that one and it could kill you. 

Chuck keys are serious safety issues, I'm all in favor of the recent keyless chucks.

Frosty The Lucky.

I knew someone who mounted a little holder on their drill press for the chuck key. It looked just like a little block of wood with a hole drilled for the key, but it had a built-in switch that would shut off the circuit to the motor if the key wasn’t inserted. 

For my drill press I just keep the chuck key on a cord hanging from the motor housing.  It is out of the way when not being used.  On the electgric hand drill there is a place to insert it on the cord near the handle which works pretty well.  I've gotten pretty good at keeping the key fairly near the chuck at all times since chuck keys are the kind of things that grow little legs and hide in obscure places when you don't watch them colsely.  Or, like soxks, translate themselves to ahigher satral plane.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

The chuck key to my floor model drill press sits on the top shelf of a set of shelves along with the can of cutting fluid, helper handle when needed to loosen the chuck and the wedge for removing the whole chuck. It's within easy reach and hasn't been lost in the 30 or so years since we built the garage. The one time I thought it was lost my teenage boy had left it in the chuck when he took the drill bit out. Needless we had a serious discussion about the key.:D

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails. ~ Semper Paratus

Drill presses are coming with the electrical safety key box for a while now. Others have a plate that covers the on switch you have to poke the key handle through to start. I like either but haven't seen one to retrofit my drill press that isn't more than I paid for it. Drill index if I'm alone or pocket if I'm not it is.

Frosty The Lucky.

They sell rubber chuck key holders you can attach most anywhere, including corded drills if they don't have a molded in one.  A lot of people have keys that get lost.  I seem to accumulate them.  I don't know from where they come.  I use weak string to hang them from my presses.

Years ago at work I got so annoyed of never being able to find the chuck key, wasn't the only one using the drill so I welded it to piece of small chain and cut open the chain link and welded it back once on the cable. It is still there years later, because you have to cut it of. :D

I always thought that was the common method of storing the chuck key when not using the drill. 

The key for my drill press is one of those 4 way types that has a magnet in the center. I just stick it to a convenient spot on the drill press.