I Forge Iron

Looking for a respirator

47 minutes ago, Purple Bullet said:

... or a spider or some other critter that hid under the seal.

Thank you,

now i will tripple check before use and every slight tickle or tick I feel, i will rip the mask from my face.

Bbbbuubhhhh spiders, i am scared from them.

I almost choked myself out in a crawlspace.  I took a can bug spray with me when I went to fix the water hose on the far side of the house. I saw a big enough spider right beside where I needed to go.  So I sprayed, and sprayed again, and a third time. Then I started choking and coughing and eyes watering and nose running etc.

Any way, a respirator would have been nice then, it was not pleasant experience.

Had a spider inside my diving helmet (Miller 400) way back when, on one of the rare occasions that I could actually SEE something (~75% of my diving career, once you got to where you were to work, opening your eyes was an act of futility.) He was well behaved, but wanted out. I accommodated him by pulling the neck dam open and opening the demand bypass wide open. Helmet nearly came off my head, but the spider ended up as fish food.

I just have a cheapo harbor freight respirator, though it actually works reasonably well, but I keep it in a ziplock bag when not in use. One thing having a spider crawling around on your foot or leg, on your face is a big fat NO from me. 

Had a black widow end up on my shoulder somehow while edging the lawn, must've been hiding in the string trimmer somewhere. Saw that sucker outta the corner of my eye and I was dancing quite the merry little jig... String trimmer flying one way, me another, arms flailing every which way, yelling for my wife to come look at me and make sure I got it off... 

Bug spray in enclosed spaces is a bad thing.  I tried to drive a skunk out from under a mobile home once by throwing bug bombs under there.  It killed it instead and I had to crawl under there and pull it's carcass out.  I doubt a respirator would help much in there.

Many, and expensive ones, too, respirators have filters designed to catch particulate matter rather than actual gases.  Also, they may not be good about filtering out aerosols which I suspect you bug bombs were.  Filters, such as military filters designed to stop war gases, have layeres of activated carbon and other things to bind up gases chemically.  Also, many war gases are actually very finely divided aerosols.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I will tell you what, George.  I wasn't at risk as I assumed it drove the devil out.  It wasn't until I smelled it going bad that I had to go under and find it.  It had plenty of time to air out, pesticide wise.

Jeff, sometimes we learn the hard way.  I'll tell you the about the time I tried to fix my pit well myself,  sometime.....

Yes, and the immediate antidote for insecticide poisoning is the same as exposure to many types of nerve gases, immediate atropine injection.  In a nerve gas environment all soldiers would be issued an atropine injector like folk with bee sting allergy carry.  Just flip off the cap and slam it against your thigh and the spring loaded injector gives you a measured dose of atropine.

GNM