I Forge Iron

The Cudgel in the Sack

templehound

Over two decades ago  I restored an enormous flick knife from Russia stamp dated 1876 on the ricasso. Very impressive piece it was.

I became fascinated with  huge navajas, big folders from Afghanistan and somehow I was inspired to do a big folder myself....at least for a while.

But after I started working on the knife I absolutely lost confidence....it didn't make sense anymore, the motivation was like a bushfire, burned hot but burned out too fast.

You guys maybe can comprehend why...and besides it would nearly be impossible to sell the knife....however I put the already milled and worked Titanium liners away and forgot about it.

Until recently I stumbled over it again and I kept working on it mainly because it was a pity for the Titanium and the work already put into it.

And with every day the piece developed more and I really could catch up with my igniting motivation from two decades ago.

And after it was finished I loved it!.....

but it took me three times as long as I needed for a normal sized folder with steel bolsters and without the fullers.

....the blade with the fullers took itself nearly a week until I was satisfied with the result.....and the Titanium ate up belts and tools but using Titanium and cutting the  fullers was mandatory considering the final weight.

....but I was sure never to do such a knife again....never ever.

Blade is O1 with 3mm in width and 150 mm in length, detachable bolsters and liners are titanium 6Al4V and Ceylon ironwood for the handle slabs.

In overall length it measures 175 mm 325 mm and weighs 350 grams (I was surprised because I expected it heavier...).

You do not want to carry this in your pockets it would pull the pants down, even carried in a holster on a belt it would be not really comfortable...it has to go in the rucksack

or backpack....but anyways you open it and feel it, that knife is serious business.It opens up a coconut with ease and chops bamboo like nothing.

The protecting pouch is made from water buffalo leather.

....so here it is :.... the cudgel in the sack.:)

you guys have a nice weekend

Cheers

G1a.JPG

G2b.JPG

G3.JPG

G4.JPG

G5.JPG

G8.JPG

G6.JPG

G9.JPG

G9a.JPG

It wasn't until the last pic I got a real feel for the size and it's a beast of a folder. A beautiful beast, I don't think you CAN do less than beautiful work but HOLY MOLY that is one big folder!

Glad you finished it and shared it with us. I understand projects that really moved me then faded out. Once in a while one will call out from my past. 

Frosty The Lucky.

On 4/19/2023 at 6:03 AM, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

I'll see if I can find mine and post a picture. A commercial version not made by me. When I find it, I'll post a thread about it in Historical Blades. It's a WWII Aviators survival machete.

Dragon, I will keep an eye open and have a look.

On 4/20/2023 at 4:51 AM, Hefty said:

Templehound, for such a BIG knife, it still has such good fit up and finish! Those fullers are a thing of beauty!

Cheers,

Jono.

That is a nice comment, Jono! Thanks a lot!

• 2 weeks later...