I Forge Iron

I needed a screwdriver

yves

A screwdriver is the 2nd thing i ever really forged, the first was a cold chisel. When i was in high school metals shop we made them. Then we took a piece of material, i chose some kind of yellow plastic stuff, and turned it down in the lathe for a handle. We burnt the handle in, then cross drilled it for a pin. 

3 hours ago, BillyBones said:

We burnt the handle in, then cross drilled it for a pin. 

As you can see in the pic, I swaged a shape in order to have a grip. At first I thought of flattening the material, punch holes and rivet wood sides for a handle. And then I multiplied time constraints with the possibility of making a screwdriver that did not look like the screwdrivers I know,  and that is what I got. I'll see today, I might have some filing to do and then a wax mixture.

Yves, I have seen late 19th century/early 20th century screwdrivers which just had a looped end for a handle.  This would actually give you more torque on the screw because of the greater width of the handle.  There may be an optimum ergonomic shape which allows both the maximum torque and the maximum downwards pressure.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

2 hours ago, George N. M. said:

Yves, I have seen late 19th century/early 20th century screwdrivers which just had a looped end for a handle.  This would actually give you more torque on the screw because of the greater width of the handle.  There may be an optimum ergonomic shape which allows both the maximum torque and the maximum downwards pressure.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

You are right. By the way I just saw a guy doing exactly what you describe. As for mine, I have already used it for what I needed and I had enough torque.

2 hours ago, anvil said:

Nice tool! Every blow of the hammer brings ideas for change in the job at hand or something to try on the next one!

Thanks. And you are right a hammer blow on hot iron is creative in itself when we are searching, exploring.