I Forge Iron

Tiger dance

templehound

On some pieces of tiger coral the stripes often look like dancing people,.....it reminds me of cave paintings.
to me it is one of the most beautiful handle materials especially combined with black patinated steel.
Blade is ground from 1.2419 (105WCr6), steel bolsters and steel pins and tiger coral.
Sheath is half tanned  cow leather with raw hide core.

Cheers:)

Td1.JPG

Td2.JPG

Td3.JPG

Td4.JPG

Td5.JPG

Td6.JPG

Td7.JPG

Thanks a lot, fellas!

11 hours ago, Me and Knives said:

I like it. What kind of epoxy did you use?

I only use slow bonding epoxy, never the fast stuff.

On flat tangs I only need a very small amount, just to keep the scales stay in place that I can rivet the pins....or is it peening the pins?

Anyway...I construct with no light gap and a real tight tolerance on the holes and pins.So when pressed together there is nearly no glue left because of the

tight tolerances.

Many years ago I read an article about the work of Tim Hancock. He  mentioned that he uses no glue at all.If every thing is tight and the pins are really riveted with a head

glue is superfluous. That was an real eye opening inspiration to me.

SLAG, Chad J and Les L, thank you very much, Gentlemen!

On 2/16/2023 at 12:18 AM, Chad J. said:

Love the shape and handle.   How tough is that coal to work and can it take a beating?

this pair of slabs has been stabilized, typical stench while grinding.

But that was only short at the beginning. The stabilisation didn't went through.

It is comparable to camel or cattle bone.....although I think camel bone is a bit more brittle. 

Some pieces can still be a bit salty and with neglected care I observed corrosion at the border of the tang where the coral meets the steel.

But that is not an issue for me, just oil it up every 3-4 days than it is fine.

tiger coral, screen shot (2).jpg