I Forge Iron

Anvil Advice

Hello!

I'm new to the forum and new to blacksmithing. I've taken several classes at the local pioneer settlement and it's been a real blast. I've made nails, s-hooks, a chisel and punch tool, tongs, and some split crosses! Now I want to get started at home, and the anvil is first on the list!

I'm going to pick up an anvil on Friday, and he has two available. One has a perfect face, but pretty chipped edges. The other has much better edges, but a pitted face. What are the pros and cons of each anvil? Which would you recommend I get? I attached videos the seller sent, hopefully those went through.

Any advice is very appreciated!

Are the sizes/prices similar? They both seem very serviceable. The chipping look pretty minor and it’s hard to judge the pitting on them. If would take a 3/8” to 3/4” bearing for a rebound test and a small hammer for a ring test. Assuming they past the tests (rebound over 7” minimum dropped from 10” and consistent ring) pick the one you prefer.

Keep it fun,

David

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. I too would chose the one with the chipped edges. Hammering hot steel on the face will shine it right up. It is recommended to not do any grinding, milling or welding on an anvils hardened face, which does more harm than good.

Is there a name of mfg. on the two? What does each anvil weigh?

Thanks everyone!

It's 153 lbs. Here is the description by the seller:

"This is one unique anvil with an old English base and American top.  It likely started life as a Mousehole and was taken to Columbus Anvil & Forge for a repair.  Came out with a new top (Arm and Hammer).  The serial number suggests it was repaired in 1900 - the first year they were open but I can't be for sure of that.  It has a great ring and great rebound.  The face is really clean with a few chips on the edges.  The pics were taken after light wire brushing and oiling, in direct sunlight to show every imperfection."

I'm excited about it! Next will be to get a stand, and I think I'll start with a stump to keep costs down :lol:

I ended up with the one with the better face. It looks beautiful in person! I can definitely work around the chips. One edge of the face is square and the other is rounded, which is great and gives me different surfaces to work on.

Very excited to start putting together my shop. Now I'm in the market for an anvil stand and a coal forge with hand-crank blower if anyone in the NW Florida area is selling :D

You definitely can build your own anvil stand, lots of ideas on this site. Can be anything from a stump, to a welded steel "stool". Mine is 2"x6" pieces screwed together into a block and then a metal strap around near the top and bottom. Works great and cost me almost nothing with what I had laying around.

You can also build a JABOD (again just search the site, there's a whole big thread for this "Box of dirt" style) in the meantime until you build or buy a proper forge. A good way to get a fire going pretty quickly and start having some fun.