I Forge Iron

Bbq Bear Claws

I've been drawing out how to do a set of bear claws for pulled pork.  I was planning on starting with some 3/8 × 2 bar stock, cut and shape and put on some wooden handles.   For the life of me I can't find forged versions on the internet.  Maybe figure out how to get a bottle opener on it.   Anyone made a set?

Ran out of propane before I got too far, i may start over because I can only get three fingers in it.  Part one went ok.  It's still 1/4 inch thick so I have room to play with.  Odds are I need to start with a slightly wider piece and a wider gap between the tines.

20230120_193511.jpg

Chad, the idea looks a lot like wool combs or hackles that are used for combing or carding wool before it is spun.  Google "wool comb" and you'll see illustrations.  Martha had a pair that were spikes mounted on T shaped handles.  I suspect that they would have worked very well for pulling roasted meat.  I suspect that somewhat shorter spikes would work better for that purpose.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I was given salad claws by two different people one Christmas, the plastic ones work a treat for pulling meat. My plastic ones look a lot like the image below.

Were I forging these my first thought is to forge the handle first then make the tines with a fuller backing it inside the handle. I'd do the final shaping of the tines on a bridge.

Frosty The Lucky.

Gecko Grip Salad & Meat Claws - Verde River Products

Thanks for the ideas guys,  I need to make a bridge some time soon.  I bent the tines it off the way and worked them on the horn and corner of the anvil.   Got it close to what I envisioned.   I can spend some time refining and it'll be goid i think.  I think   I'm going to cut 5 more out for practice.

16743305817227620919155595636729.jpg

I have never made any but since this thread started i have been thinking on how. So i went to an old book and looked at how pitch forks were made back in the early 1900's. So today i gave it a whirl. Started with a peice of 5/8" round, cause that is what i had. flattened it out to a 3/4" x 3/8" or so flat bar. Fullered in a little spot then piened the tine end out to a bit better than 1". Then split the handle end in 2 and the tine end in 4. Drew out 2 tapers for the handle and 4 flat for the tines. Turned out a bit wonky and the tines need adjusted to length, the handle needs some adjusting to be comfortable, but for just seeing it in my head and then putting the idea to a hammer, with a bit of work i may be onto something. 

One thing i did learn, split the tine end in 2, spread out to get the "T" shape. Then cut the other 2 tines. I think that may have gave me a good square transition. The way it is i would not use becuase it would be to hard to clean and down in the ties would be a good place for bacteria and the like to build up. And i really do not want food poisoning. 

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration. I had fun trying this out and i hope it may give others ideas on doing them.  

image.thumb.jpeg.7c52ee42b3a4e1ab68a3c286681dc128.jpeg

Billy, I think that Thomas meant that stainless is unlikely to rust when run through the dishwasher.  Other steel, without the chromium oxide layer protection, could.  I don't think I'd want to run a beautiful pattern welded blade through the dishwasher either.  I'd wash and dry it by hand.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I have never lived in a house with a dishwasher, well, except the wife that is. So i have 0 experience with one. 

When we were looking for our house this one the kitchen counters and sink are much lower than most houses. I can stand, put my hand in the sink with fingers extended and i wont touch the bottom. I am also average height, my wife is a bit shorter so i told her we can get this house becuase the sink is at working level for her to do dishes. I slept on the couch that night. :lol:

Not having rust develop in little nooks and crannies means said nooks can't harbor bacteria as easily so they're easier to sterilize with soap and water. A dish washing machine gets everything much hotter than your hands will stand and often used heat elements to speed drying so anything you put in one has to be able to take the heat. 

Frosty The Lucky.

That makes sense. I may have to look through the scrap bin at work and see if there is a piece of stainless i could use. 

I was at work today and browsing the interweb when i came across this thing that was "show me your dumbest mistake" or something like that. Some lady was on it and her husband had put their very expensive chef's knife in the dishwasher. From the photo it looked pattern welded and it looked as if the dishwasher was hot enough to re-temper the knife. The blade was a dark straw color. I find it ironic that we are talking about putting steel in the dishwasher then seeing today what it can do. 

My camp eating set I forged from Ti so I could boil them if they got stuck in the trunk and forgotten...

Not only if you dishwasher things; but I have had "borrowers" damage stuff they did not know about.  

I once forged a set of gambrel hooks for a hunter in our church out of stainless so they could be thrown in a dishwasher for multiple runs...traded for game meat.