Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a “2” under the mounting bracket 

I’m gonna keep looking for some. After a quick wire wheel brush and rust removal it appears that someone had painted it blue a while back. I’m assuming that there are markings buried under that

Went to work today and was standing there talking the 1st shift guys when one comes to me and says "go look in your truck." So out i go.

IMG_20210527_170452.thumb.jpg.1fa5e6db5ec9e5c865cf80a2890d8e49.jpg

She's a little beat up, especially that jaw that is missing, rusty and dirty, but the screw looks good and it moves smooth. For the price, free, a pretty good score i think. I am thinking a good candidate for electrolysis. 

On 5/30/2021 at 11:05 PM, Gazz said:

I'd like to see one of those cut and polished.  What is the slag from?

There were lot of foundries round here (Birmingham) so I'd guess iron/steel production, it got used for building and roads round here, this bit came from an 'outcrop' on the river bank, most I find in the road. I'd have cut it this weekend but it was hot and my workshop is a metal box with a glass roof

One thing that did NOT follow me home -- nor did I want it to -- was the cast iron bathtub my coworker had removed from her house as part of a bathroom renovation. I will say, however, that I did appreciated her thinking of me and offering the chance to pick it up before it went in the trash. (I appreciate even more that she didn't assume that I WOULD want it and dropping it off in my driveway without notice!)

I've been working on a "reverse it followed me home".  I'm wanting to clear up the shop so I can start using POWER TOOLS again; So a lot of "neat stuff" is hopefully going to the next NMABA meeting to be passed to someone who needs it or will hoard it them selves:  3 post drills (1 hand crank the other two large ones that were powered.) Two large grinders designed to run off of flat belts--one had a 4" wide wheel on it.  A bunch of Soldering coppers and a charcoal furnace for them.  I spent a lot of my holiday weekend getting stuff piled up by the 10' roll up door for loading.  Now to get the electric inspected and the trench closed so I can get my pickup IN to load them!

Another eBay purchase arrived in today’s mail. Not a book, this time, but a lightly used (nearly new, really) Drill Doctor model 700. I anticipate having much sharper drills in the near future — split points, too!

B084E4A2-1B56-4CF6-B1C9-5D26CF8CE5DD.jpeg

(Not bad for under $50.)

So up the road from my place, old farmer has had this forge blower sitting by his doorstep. Every time I drive by, I can’t help but stare. You just don’t see many, at least up here, with their original stand. Well today he just happened to be outside and I figured I would “Give it the Wayne Gretzky” and shoot a shot. I asked him if he would ever sell it, he said “well everything is for sale”. Well sir, I have $72 in my pocket! “$100 and it’s yours” he says. Short trip to the ATM later, this Western Chief followed me home. Everything seems to be fully functional, it has two hairline cracks, but they seem to be no problem. Turns clean, pushes tons of air. Looks like a little cleaning, some fresh oil, and a little handle repair will get this old girl spinning like new again!

60932CBE-D141-4171-9663-D146F587BA98.jpeg