• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Needed to mount a tire on a new rim for the trailer today and while I was down in the body shop mechanics area I picked up a few goodies. Boxes have larger bolts, nuts, bearing and bearing balls, some tie rods and other goodies. Got some small rotors for sculpture bases and some CV shafts. I passed on having to break down some springs off of struts since I still have a good supply of coil spring in the sizes that were there. 

Also stopped in HF and finally picked up some letter/number punches in 1/4" and 3/8". 

s parts.jpg

stamps.jpg

When you grind the mushrooming off that flatter, chamfer it strongly. You want the struck end chamfered so hammer blows strike the center, this distributes the force down the center of the flatter and minimizes mushrooming. If ground flat the edges move sooner as there is less resistance on the unsupported sides. A strong chamfer conducts the energy into the center of the tool where resistance is equal all around.

Nice score, flatters are real work savers.

Frosty The Lucky.

Reminds me of an auction I went to, I came home with about everything shown except the leg vises. The pallet of tongs was stacked a little deeper and I got a really nice selection of tin knocker's stakes, no stake plate though. 

So, how much DID come home with you? Either pallet would be a sweet score.

Frosty The Lucky.

7 minutes ago, Ranchmanben said:

Unfortunately not all of it is getting to follow me home  

How much of it is? And can they send the rest my way?

This is what’s following me home from the business trip I’m on right now. Amazing what you can pick up beside the road — did no-one notice it was gone?

CC0AB4F2-B782-4153-BA7E-D3B1E5A3652E.jpeg

Ha never know John. I was in the inside lane going uphill with a car beside me and a dump truck packed to the gills with a mound of scrap metal and junk. They hit a bump and one of those old heavy metal vacuum cleaners bounced out and was rolling right for me. I just barely got out of its way without smashing into the car beside me. It kept on rolling along the median and the dump truck never so much as tapped their brakes. Don't think they missed it, but I'm sure glad I did. 

15 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Ha never know John. I was in the inside lane going uphill with a car beside me and a dump truck packed to the gills with a mound of scrap metal and junk. They hit a bump and one of those old heavy metal vacuum cleaners bounced out and was rolling right for me. I just barely got out of its way without smashing into the car beside me. It kept on rolling along the median and the dump truck never so much as tapped their brakes. Don't think they missed it, but I'm sure glad I did. 

Ayup. And THAT my boyOs is why we NEVER follow a laden vehicle. Do we? I saw on the news a while back that the most commonly lost piece of "cargo" is the mattress during a move and they are the most common cause of accidents caused by a lost load.

I'm glad you missed too Das. Been there and . . . NOPE not going to jinx myself! :o

Frosty The Lucky.

Nope, it was still moving down hill the opposit direction and I was too busy trying to get my blood pressure back down and watching for any other things coming at me while I was stuck behind him till I could get around and away from that disaster. 

Lol, yeah kind of, I don't really Need to go after Everything. :) still tho, it's not full Yet!

heading to a farm auction this weekend probably. Saw some fun stuff in the listing including at least 3 scrap piles. :D Well and 3 anvils, a blower and rivet forge too. Should be a fun morning. 

6 hours ago, Frosty said:
6 hours ago, JHCC said:

When I got there, my first instinct was to buy all of it and sell what I don’t want. These were priced at a point that I could make money without screwing people. The one vice I want isn’t for sale, the cleaner 5.5” jaw. Then I remembered I’ve got friends that want/need a post vise. Gave a few guys a call and told them to save me the one with the womper jawed leg. There’s a high school kid that my wife teaches who’s getting into smithing and wants to make more than knives. I plan on having him help me fix it up and long term loaning it to him. 

The tongs are, for the most part, large tong for use under a power hammer. We’ve been having a little bit of a debate on the value of these. Most of them are in terrible shape and have been poorly welded back together. There are certainly a few pair that will be in my shop but we’ve got to figure out the price. 

The thing thay really caught my eye was the large stake anvil. I’ve had my eye out for one for quite a while. I told him I’d take the other stake anvils too but the big one is coming home on Tuesday. 

This whole thing caught me off guard, short notice, unprepared and without cash. We set the price on the vices and the stake anvils for my friends and I bit the guy is bizarrely stubborn about the tong price. 

This one found me at work. Hay Budden 125. I credit this one to TPAAAT. 

I was scrolling through Larry Z's simple gas forge [pneumatic tank conversion] and my buddy stopped by asking me if I needed a pneumatic tank? Why, yes, please.  He proceeds to ask what I'll be doing with it, "gonna start beating metal soon."

"Do you need an anvil?"

Need is such an intriguing concept...

I have all the hardware for a Frosty 3/4" T Burner, Wayne will be receiving an order for blanket and refractory in the near term.

Cheers,
Jason

HB_125.jpg