Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Will, 

You were right!  After a little oiling it cut through a large nail like nothing and will take up to 3/8" stock.  I've taken to buying and cleaning old tools like this for possible resale, but this I am going to restore to original and keep.  I'm going to keep checking sales to see if I can find it a mate in the way of a vintage sheet metal shear.

Thanks,
Kent.

finally get to post here!!!! YAY!!!!! I heard of an old blacksmith shop through some people in town using the TPAAT the abandoned shop was wayyy out of town here and went for a little trip to see it, drove in the lane way and there was a house so i went and knocked.... they had sold the contents of the shop (sad me) until the elderly gave me the name of an older guy who bought lots of the stuff, so after lots of cold calls and wrong numbers searching through the phone book, i found him!.... he parted it all out.... :( BUT! he had some other stuff for sale because he was just retiring, so i got:

75lb "Canadian" farriers anvil

2 burner N.C tool forge with all lines and new lining

10 pairs of tongs

12 hammers

5 rasps (3 given to dad for horses)

tons of misc farrier clippers, dividers,hoof stands and hoof knives for dad

8 misc files

15 horseshoes (new, perfect for hearts)

hardie for anvil

swivel base vice with hardie post welded on

home made shoe vice (great for filing bevels)

small bench vice

aluminum farrier tool box (given to dad)

tong/tool stand

hand crank grinder

lead ladle

500 horseshoe nails

COST: $200

it is a very happy day

Josh

post-15377-0-44388500-1357517774_thumb.j

post-15377-0-61798600-1357517785_thumb.j

post-15377-0-26064400-1357517807_thumb.j

post-15377-0-32014300-1357517815_thumb.j

post-15377-0-71314300-1357517826_thumb.j

post-15377-0-60391800-1357517838_thumb.j

Went out to the scrapyard last weekend and found the final piece for another "no weld" hammer rack---a length of heavy duty 2" hole "hardware cloth".  Teamed that with a home built inversion system and a couple of lengths of black pipe and I had a 210 spot tool rack with a 5' slot for larger items like stakes.  Got my armouring stakes dug out and put on the rack and 38 hammers that go with them.

The larger hammer rack with the 78 hammers went out in the forging shop---ran out of room on it so I built a smaller tooling rack over by the forge for the top swages and hardy tools.

The 4340 steel showed up today! It arrived with a few gouges/nicks from the shipper but most are in areas that can be machined off. I got the big saw were I work to slice me off two 4-3/16" chunks and cut the rest in half to make it easier to move and fit in my truck. 

Went to a free garage sale a couple weeks ago :D . Picked up a heap of items including a bucked of charcoal, and stuff for the house. Best find was a German made electric two speed blower. Its not a blacksmithing blower but once I build a frame to mount it to it will work very well. When I got home I turned it on and it purrs, great find.

Visited the scrap yard yesterday mainly to pick up some bolts; they are getting too expensive at the hardware store and I fing unused ones in someone's garage stash dumped at the scrap yard on a regular basis.

I found my bolts, a nice piece of gridwork mounted in a frame to make a small hammer rack from, a working nice sized drillpress vise in very good condition, a piece of real wrought iron, some usable scrap and finally a bracelet stake dumped with the rest of the junk.  Well worth getting grubby for!  Scale was busy so I accepted an "eyeball price" of US$8.  A bit high but the vise and stake were both worth several times as much...had to make two trips to carry all the stuff out to the truck.

post-24020-0-66591400-1359249798_thumb.jpost-24020-0-16452900-1359249832_thumb.jToday I traded a piece of damascus and two 1/2" Stainless rods for about a dozen cut pieces of leaf spring, half a dozen cut up pieces of coil spring 1/2" round, 4 1/2 ' of 1/2 square mild, and 17 railroad spikes. Also included was 7 files. The largest was 20" long and the shortest was 10".

Got some heavy square tubing, angle irona and traded for this 55" saw blade today. Its .182 thick on the edge and close to .225 in the center..Did a little testing on it..i think its something like 1080+nickle..

100_8348.jpg

Does it have carbide incerts?  If so you can sell the carbide and use the rest of the for blades, tools, gardening tools, shears, and other hardened things.