I Forge Iron

It followed me home

that was me but i was just looking for one that was a 2-3lb one like my 6lb one if its not to pricey i would be interested but i am on a pretty tight budget to the point where i am looking into trying to make a similar hammer out of a drive shaft from a tedder that got a bit of a twist in it this year

Have you PM him to see if he is interested in parting with one if the size you need?
Rob

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

no i thought he was using them so i was not going to bother him
sins to me it would be more like the look at the nifty toy i got
and me asking him if i could buy it lol
plus unless i am mistaken they went through a fire and if i am going to learn about tempering a hammer it will be one where all i am out is my time

I picked up a few things at an estate sale this morning. $40 for the lot.

Top to bottom, left to right:

Wooden tackle box
Stanley #60 double-blade spoke shave
Marshall Wells 'Zenith' Trail Mark square
Golden Rod 1 qt. Oiler
Unger razor scraper
Plastic Stanley hacksaw (made in U.S.A.)
Goodell Pratt drill U.S.A. works great (note brazing at 8:30 and 12:00 on the main gear)
2 lb unknown ball peen hammer
Hardwood roller (ironwood? teak?)
Craftsman brace shank reamer 5513 USA
Stanley mason's hammer (might get re-purposed as a slitter)
Stanley No 21 nickel plated
Box of tripoli compound
Nicholson file card w/ replaceable bristles
Moore-Ford 9" adjustable wrench
Heller NuCut file (Have you used one of these NuCut/Multi-Kut files? They rock!)
Unknown 9" adjustable wrench
GTD 82° countersink w/brace shank
Soldering iron by The Electric Material Co., North East PA (handle appears to be hand forged)
Yankee No 135 by North Bros Mfg Co
Turner #4 soldering iron, Sycamore ILL. USA

Tools.JPG

Nice score Tom! I have a collection of old soldering irons, like yours. Ther originally came as a pair, once you got one hot you would start heating the other while you worked the first. I have never found them as a pair...I have around 20 or so of them and have used nearly half of them at one time or other. The unmarked 9" wrench will make a nice twisting wrench, if you are so minded. That nice little square is most likely rosewood with brass, nice little tool.

Thanks for the info, Thomas. I'm a sucker for any old tool that says "Made in U.S.A."

A couple months back I picked up a real nice Dunlap gasoline blow torch - excellent shape and in the original shipping box. The only thing it was missing was a soldering iron.

I was surprised by the asking price on the internet for the Stanley #60 spoke shave and the Goodell Pratt drill. Those 2 items alone more than covered my purchase price.

The oiler has been on my 'wanted list' for a while now. It'll get filled with kerosene and accompany my old cross cut saw. Normally I wouldn't have picked up a plastic hacksaw but yesterday I was holding a hacksaw blade in my hand and wishing I had one of these. And the 50¢ price tag was right. lol.gif

Yeah, Yankees are cool. We used to see them out on construction sites all the time but they pretty much disappeared by the mid-1980's. Makita started selling cordless drills in 1978. By the mid-80's they were everywhere and the Yankees were gone. Well, almost gone. Once in a while I still see an old sparky (electrician) using one to install cover plates.

I like this one because it's pre-Stanley (pre-1946). After a little Tri-Flow this one snaps back lickity split.

Yeah, Yankees are cool. We used to see them out on construction sites all the time but they pretty much disappeared by the mid-1980's. Makita started selling cordless drills in 1978. By the mid-80's they were everywhere and the Yankees were gone. Well, almost gone. Once in a while I still see an old sparky (electrician) using one to install cover plates.

I like this one because it's pre-Stanley (pre-1946). After a little Tri-Flow this one snaps back lickity split.

I can see that being very handy on electrical stuff. I have been looking, unsuccessfully, for a decently priced one, preferably a newer style that uses 1/4 inch hex bits. There might be one in Grandpa's stuff, in my parents' basement, but it has not turned up yet...but Dad is slow about sorting. (Sadly I never knew my Dad's Dad, but I have, and use, some of his tools!)

Phil

It's not much but today I got 16, 2 X 4's of various lengths, used, with nails. My son put them on top of my Subaru and cinched them down. I'm thinking of building a bench for making jewelry. Yeah, I know jewelry ain't exactly blacksmithing but little bits of metal is about all I can push around these days with my spinal column the way it is. Free wood is good and it is well cured too.