I Forge Iron

It followed me home

I totally agree with Thomas P on this one! This piece works to fields, RR collectors and tool collectors, either may give you enough more to make it worth you while and then you can find an old cressent wrench to make your twisting wrench out of. But it would make a nice twister if you choose to go that route.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today, I went to pick up a free working treadmill I found on Craigslist. Being older, I plan on eventually cannibalising it for the motor and speed control on a 2x72 knife grinder. While I was there, I found they had been cleaning out their shop getting ready to move and there was a treasure trove of other things they gave me as well.

Treadmill
Splitting maul
Axe
two splitting wedges
Pick head
Three Fire Extinguishers (two that work and the third that might be rechargable)
A small table saw with a broken table (the motor is still good.)
A campfire cooking set (toasting fork, stand and pot rest)
a big heavy-duty bench vise
an iron casting ladle
a cast-iron griddle
a cast iron casserole dish (?) I've never seen one of these before
A large saw blade
a small bullet level
various small blocks of mild steel (I think) and a short chunck of 2”x4” tubing
a cherry stair tread and another block of cherry.

post-9322-0-13001800-1314493708_thumb.jppost-9322-0-02318100-1314493717_thumb.jppost-9322-0-24559600-1314493730_thumb.jppost-9322-0-46157200-1314493750_thumb.jppost-9322-0-93623100-1314493765_thumb.jp

Nice. Check the bottom of the cast cookware, if it's marked 'Wagner' or 'Griswold' then they are both highly collectable and to the right person they'll bring a nice price. The cherry will make some nice handles. Good for you. Whatcha gonna do with the digital stuff from the treadmill? :P

Nice. Check the bottom of the cast cookware, if it's marked 'Wagner' or 'Griswold' then they are both highly collectable and to the right person they'll bring a nice price. The cherry will make some nice handles. Good for you. Whatcha gonna do with the digital stuff from the treadmill? :P

I don't know what I could do with the digital stuff from the control panel. All I really need is the speed control and a little time making a wooden case for it, any suggestions? :D

I was at a cast party last night and mentioned to the host that I had been out that way once to a garage sale at his mother's place across the way and had picked up a lot of scrap metal there---at which point his wife asked me if I wanted to take more of it for *free*! I'm sure something equitable can be worked out...

It fits a Scion xB. I'd think about selling it, but I have something particular in mind for the big "can."

FInding a tool that'll cut it isn't the problem. I've just never seen the inside of one of these things before, and I'm not sure what I'm getting into. :) I guess we'll see.

The images is included in the post #2818 and I have also copied and attached it here for your convenience. I had no problems viewing the image. We are now three days into dedicated work on the site with more being done this holiday weekend.

Blacksmithing content:
I had 3 each 55 gallon drums that used to contain motor follow me home. Now I can proceed with a couple of drum projects that I have been considering.

While I was picking up the drums, I was offered all the wooden pallets I wanted. So far only about 50 pallets followed me home and I am only just keeping ahead of what they stack out back of their building. The pallets of real interest are the one that are 4 x 8 feet and 6 x 8 feet in size. I have a plan ,,,,,,,,,,,(grin)

Glen the sign company that used to be behind my smithy in Ohio used to get sign materials on 4' and 6' by 10' and 12' pallets with oak 4x4's as the long supports---I rebuilt the roof over 1/2 my smithy with oak 4x4's for free!

Funny after 15 years of hosting a blacksmithing shop with no issues the detached garage burned down 3 months after I sold the place.

Glenn I tried to PM you but your box is full.

I used to take all the pallets I could get that were made of oak and pecan. Those are good burning hardwoods so for the pallets that were pretty much trash I just cut them up but for the "nicer" ones I would take them apart. Out here there is a slight shortage of hardwood for most projects so it is cheap wood. I had a big old electric soldering iron I would apply to the nail heads to soften the vinyl glue to make pulling easier. Some of the slats were already thin enough for small boxes. I suppose that one could even make charcoal out of pallets if one wanted to.

• 3 weeks later...

No picture but I stopped at a yard sale on the way home from church and bought two small hammer heads. One was a Pexto tack hammer head that I cleaned up the face and little cross peen on, put a handle on so I can use it for a riveting hammer for my jewelry work. The other is a 2 ounce ball peen that I'll do the same with. Cost for the two heads was a dollar, not too bad for a Pexto and a Stanley of that vintage. I have two handles that I bought in New Mexico for a buck a piece so they won't be expensive hammers if I don't count the clean up and polishing time.

A week ago I picked up "The Practcal Handbook Of Blacksmithing & Metalworking" by Percy Blandford.

I think it'll donate it to the club library if I have to start one. There's not a lot for an experienced smith but covers the basics pretty well. All in all, not bad for a couple bucks.

Frosty The Lucky.